Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Search box

422422 Developer MVP
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I wish to add placeholder text within search box, do you know where thee code is for this plz.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

If you are using default.master.php you can transmit any html attribute in $Form->TextBox.

echo $Form->TextBox('Search', array('placeholder' => T('Search Forums')));

If you are using the {searchbox} in your theme then the placeholder is just the translation of "Search". So you could add the following definition:

$Definition['Search'] = 'Search Forums';

Since the word "Search" is rather generic that translation may clash with other instances of it on the site. We could be persuaded to make the translation different.

Answers

• edited December 2011

application\dashboard\views\default.master.php

echo $Form->Open(array('action' => Url('/search'), 'method' => 'get')), $Form->TextBox('Search'), $Form->Button('Go', array('Name' => '')), $Form->Close();

I too want to add placeholder to it. But maybe it would be better to use some js code?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Cheers perhaps we can add value somehow. Will have a play

• Well, try this

public function DiscussionsController_AfterBody_Handler($Sender,$Args) {
        $JS='var input = document.getElementById ("Form_Search"); 
        input.placeholder = "Placeholder value";';
        echo '<script type="text/javascript">'.$JS.'</script>';
      }

• edited December 2011
    • +DiscussionController_AfterDiscussion_Handler
    Answer ✓

If you are using default.master.php you can transmit any html attribute in $Form->TextBox.

echo $Form->TextBox('Search', array('placeholder' => T('Search Forums')));

If you are using the {searchbox} in your theme then the placeholder is just the translation of "Search". So you could add the following definition:

$Definition['Search'] = 'Search Forums';

Since the word "Search" is rather generic that translation may clash with other instances of it on the site. We could be persuaded to make the translation different.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I was really looking to add ID but see ths is already implemented, but thanks todd. Will keep playing.

• edited December 2011

@Todd:

I currently have this:

<input type="text" id="Form_Search" name="Search" value="" placeholder="Search…" class="InputBox">

Can you please tell me what I have to do to get this as end-result:

<input type="text" id="Form_Search" name="Search" value="Search..." class="InputBox" onblur="if (this.value == '') {this.value = 'Search...';}" onfocus="if (this.value == 'Search...') {this.value = '';}" >

Sorry, but I'm a Noob in this area.

That `placeholder="Search..." should do the exact same thing as your javascript @Reiter. If you want to add javascript to elements you never add inline events to the html, you always add jQuery.

I recommend heading over to http://jquery.com and familiarizing yourself with the library. It will help you immensely to understand this now ubiquitous library.