HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Enhancement Recommendation for Plugins Dashboard

hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
edited December 2011 in Feedback

If possible it would be great to have a little icon indicator that shows you whether a plugin you're about to enable modifies the database by adding columns or tables versus one that just layers in hooks on events, new js or css.

For me, im more weary of things that mod the database, and want to do more thorough testing before deploying to my production community. for other types of plugins i can get by with a short period of live testing and be done with it.

Comments

• Options

@hbf couldn't you set up a testing environment locally?

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

clethrill said:
    @hbf couldn't you set up a testing environment locally?

I have one, but i don't have it running all of the time. even if i did, i would like to have the insight into whether or not something was touching the db. Also, my test configurations change depending on what im testing. I always test in a production like config. If testing only themeing i only clone the webserver and use the same back end DB. If testing something that effects data, i have to clone the DBserver and change all of the configurations. It's more work that I'd rather avoid when testing simple plugins.

I don't generally test in a @localhost config since it doesn't really represent my system, and requires more work in the DB cloning procedure if i want to use production like data.

But, in reality, there are workarounds, and I can always read the plugins manually to see if they add any permissions or tables.