Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Likes and Points. How do you enable them?

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi. How do you turn on the 'Like' feature on Vanilla? I think saw the 'Abuse' and 'Spam' plugin, but I did not find the 'Like' plugin and I haven't found a thread about it either.

Also, are the points directly related to 'Likes'? For example, if I click on Lincoln's profile http://vanillaforums.org/profile/10878/Lincoln I see points right next to his badge counts.

The ability to like a user's comment and earning points is something I would like to integrate to my forum. Can the more experienced users point me to the right plugin? Thanks for the help.

One more thing. What about the badges? I saw a plugin which displayed badges under user names, but I haven't found the plugin for the badge system itself.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

You should have searched the forum a little bit before posting. All ur answers are there

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    edited December 2011

With all due respect, I know what forum etiquette is all about and I always make sure to do as much search as I can before posting questions.

While for you it might be easy to do a search and find answers, for someone new to the forum and to the software it may not be the same. Do a search for 'Like' and 'Badges' and tell me you find answers for what I'm looking for. Do a search on 'how to enable like' and 'how to enable badges' and see if you get the answer I'm looking for. Do the same for 'points' and see what answers you get.

It's perfectly understandable for admins or the more experienced users to be frustrated with new users who want everything to be handed to them on a platter, but don't just assume that about someone before you make that person look like an ill-mannered prick. If you don't wanna help step aside and don't make sarcastic comments that only takes space and helps no one.

• Options
    candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011 Answer ✓

Like and badges have not been officially released yet.

• Options

with due respect - i want to state that i was not born professional or superhuman to go through all the threads in a sec - i also spend time looking through threads looking for questions and answers to maintain forum etiquette.

needs some common sense to do something like google and check the first result to find out your answer rather than complaining about users like me how we behave here.

i believe a single user can not maintain whole forum etiquette but if new user goes through some threads eg how to post an efficient question and maintain forum etiquette to get best results to your questions.

Thanks
    Vanilla User

• Options

I've been running 2 forums for the past 3 years on completely different subjects and that is why I tell you I understand the difficulty of running a forum.

I know about some users not having the etiquette, I hate spam, I hate double posting, I hate people who expect answers instantly, but over the years I also learned to differentiate the users who are simply rude and those that truly have a hard time trying to find their way around a forum.

I use phpbb for one of my forums and since it has a similar look and feel to most traditional forum structures, questions about navigation or common features are rare. However, on another forum I use buddypress and I get asked on average 2 dozen times a day where the main forums are. Are the people who are asking those questions on buddypress just dumb or just too lazy to figure out what buddypress is all about? The truth is the average person has no idea what buddypress or phpbb is.

What one has to understand when running a forum is that a new forum, much like everything new that we try to get our head around, it takes time for people to learn to get around it.

Imagine you moved and you are learning your way around a new town. You can walk or drive just fine in the new town, but the unfamiliarity and the lack of direction gets you lost quite easily. You ask for direction and someone will always tell you, “You’ll see a big xx down the road, you can’t miss it”, but rarely is that simple in actual. In your mind it’s a piece of cake because that knowledge is already stored in your brain, but someone who is still mapping the basic information in their head is a completely different question.

From my experience, with new forum software you learn by making mistakes and asking simple and dumb questions on the forum to begin with. I don’t have enough experience in this community to be judging the Vanilla community as a whole because of this single experience with you. However, I urge you to visit smf, phpbb, and mybb communities and see how those forums are run. Few newbie questions like mine would have never been turned into a debate like this. You are obviously one of the senior members of this forum, but let’s just say I never ran into another senior member of a forum like you.

I didn’t throw a dumb question to you in my original question. I explained what my findings were so far and I explained that I was stuck. I later learned thanks to candyman that I actually did miss one of the post containing the information I was seeking about badges, but since I don’t know the development history of the forum features and I’m unfamiliar with all the conversation, I didn’t understand it even as I read it.

If you can’t ask a question when you get stuck searching for information on a forum, then what is the point of having a forum? If you can’t explain your situation and make the more knowledgeable members understand that you tried in your best effort to find the answer by making searches on your own, then what does it take to get an answer around here? Do I literally have to get on my knees and beg? Obviously not as I’ve learned through candyman.

If you were just another user on this forum I wouldn’t even care that you have a problem with me. But it’s a shame that one of the more experienced users doesn’t know how to differentiate someone who truly needs help and someone who just wants freebies.

As a forum admin myself, I hate to be labeled as an ill-mannered member of a forum, but if I can’t make you understand why I had to ask the questions I asked even after explaining all of these, then I’ll just understand it as our difference and move on.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Good reply @tikijj

• Options

@422 Just the ridiculous length of it lol~ Thanks for understanding my point. I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin here. I really like Vanilla and I think it's the best forum software out there. I'd hate to start on the wrong foot with the people who I know are leading the community and I'm only trying to make sure I'm not misunderstood.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Thank You