Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0.18.1 installation loop

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello,
I trying to install latest version of vanilla to localhost.
Patform: Windows (x64)
PHP version 5.2.17 (with PDO & required modules)
Apache 2.x
MySQL 5.1.x

When I run setup, installer creates tables in mysql, and .tmp file(s) in /conf directory.
Inside .tmp file config parts, first time only Database and few Garden lines, after run setup again plus few lines & etc.

But after filling all setup fields and pressing continue I get same (setup) page. Original config.php stays empty after setup (write permissions allowed), only .tmp files created.
None php errors in log or something else, even debug didn't show anything.

Could anyone tell where is can be problem? o_O

Example:

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

// Database
$Configuration['Database']['Name'] = 'vanilla';
$Configuration['Database']['Host'] = 'localhost';
$Configuration['Database']['User'] = '___';
$Configuration['Database']['Password'] = '___';

// EnabledPlugins
$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['GettingStarted'] = 'GettingStarted';
$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';

// Garden
$Configuration['Garden']['Title'] = 'Vanilla 2';
$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Salt'] = '___';
$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain'] = '';
$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail'] = TRUE;
$Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SupportName'] = 'Vanilla 2';
$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;
$Configuration['Garden']['Version'] = '2.0.18.1';
$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;
$Configuration['Garden']['CanProcessImages'] = TRUE;

// Last edited by Unknown (127.0.0.1)2011-12-30 07:22:17 </pre>

Best Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

which location on Windows XP is your htdocs?
    *C:\Program Files* or somewhere else?
    .tmp files are _created_ so that's good, now you need to be able to _write_ into the config.php file

Did you use a standard windows / apache / mysql / php setup or did you install all components yourself?

May I suggest:
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

Chiaki

I used the xampp installation recommended by Underdog and have a test Vanilla installation running on W7 x64.

I'm sure you did, but just in case, did you create the db and user before starting the installation?

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

which location on Windows XP is your htdocs?
    *C:\Program Files* or somewhere else?
    .tmp files are _created_ so that's good, now you need to be able to _write_ into the config.php file

Did you use a standard windows / apache / mysql / php setup or did you install all components yourself?

May I suggest:
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Answer ✓

Chiaki

I used the xampp installation recommended by Underdog and have a test Vanilla installation running on W7 x64.

I'm sure you did, but just in case, did you create the db and user before starting the installation?

• edited December 2011

somwhere else (:
    I have install all components myself (it's dev sever), so I can say that all working fine with other forums\scripts.
    my path is /host/vanilla/, tmp files stored in /host/vanilla/conf/ so, I think next setup step is to write them from tmp to config.php file. But like I said earlier write is allowed.

Even if I delete config.php and run setup I get tmp files and new empty config.php.
    If I copy content of tmp file to config.php, I get "Page not found" error in main page.

Guys, I'm not stupid, please read carefully: Setup is creating DB, problem with correct generating config.php file.
    I just don't have much time yet to debug this installer, so I'm asking here. ^^"

Can anyone provide full config example after setup? So I can diff where is problem.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited December 2011

I just don't have much time yet to debug this installer, so I'm asking here. ^^"

That's just silly, man
    No-one can give you his exact config file, you know that.

Take a look at conf/config-defaults.php for a full config example file.

If you're still on PHP 5.2 take extra time to think about that one.

In the meantime you can download xampp

That reminds me : Are you on Windows XP or on Windows 7? I only see windows x64 which makes me guess that you are on Windows 7

Which exact location is your htdocs in. I'm not joking around now.

• Hm, why? You think that default true\false options could damage privacy? I'm not asking about config with private data, but I want to know does tmp file contain all necessary variables or not.

Or maybe absolutely all variables from config-defaults should be in config after installation? In documentation vanilla required a PHP 5.2.0 or newer, so 5.2.17 should be fine. 5.3 still buggy.

Btw, why every time when somebody have problems with softA, all suggest reinstall softB? xampp is not a good solution for development server, because it's different from production servers. And it ridiculous reinstall server software if one of hundreds scripts didn't work correctly.

• You lost me and you lost my interest in your problem
    Good luck solving it though.

• Upd: here is minimal config which should be written in config.php

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

// Database
    $Configuration['Database']['Name'] = '---';
    $Configuration['Database']['Host'] = 'localhost';
    $Configuration['Database']['User'] = '---';
    $Configuration['Database']['Password'] = '---';

// Garden
    $Configuration['Garden']['Title'] = 'Vanilla 2';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Salt'] = '---';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain'] = '';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SupportName'] = 'Vanilla 2';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Version'] = '2.0.18.1';
    $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['CanProcessImages'] = TRUE;

// EnabledPlugins
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['GettingStarted'] = 'GettingStarted';
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';

// EnabledApplications
    $Configuration['EnabledApplications']['Conversations'] = 'conversations';

// Routes
    $Configuration['Routes']['DefaultController'] = 'discussions';

// EnabledApplications
    $Configuration['EnabledApplications']['Vanilla'] = 'vanilla';

// Garden
    $Configuration['Garden']['Installed'] = TRUE;

While installing, vanilla creates a few TMP files, in each file Database part identical and other variables different. So you need to combine them all into one file and this ... will work.

I don't know is a problem with SaveToConfig function or in Redirect, but I don't want to ...k with this anymore. 2.0 still very buggy and unfriendly. Maybe 2.1 will be more stable.

Chiaki

Guys, I'm not stupid, please read carefully: Setup is creating DB, problem with correct generating config.php file. I just don't have much time yet to debug this installer, so I'm asking here. ^^">

That's why I hedged my comment.

I only mentioned it because, as I said, I have a working test site for Vanilla using xampp and I had no problems installing it.

tbh I'm with UnderDog - if you're going to be snarky about replies why on earth should anyone take the trouble to try and help you?

• tbh I'm with UnderDog - if you're going to be snarky about replies why on earth should anyone take the trouble to try and help you?

Well, sorry, but I think if I'm asking for help with installer, there is no need to touch server. Even if this is a question of compatibility.

IMHO if something wrong, script should notice about that. But unfortunately, there is no debug or verbose mode in installer and this is makes trouble.

• IMHO if something wrong, script should notice about that. But unfortunately, there is no debug or verbose mode in installer and this is makes trouble.

Actually, you're right about that. The minute the script tries to write from the .tmp file to the config file and it fails, a notice should be presented.
    Usually those notices are hidden by the '@' sign.

Since I won't be helping you, I can suggest you look in that direction. Since you probably succeeded in installing vanilla, I can only wish you luck in your further use of vanilla.

• I'm sure the OP has solved this problem in the meantime, but maybe it helps anyone else: I experienced the same problem and disabling the Zend/PHP extension "Zend Optimizer+" solved it for me.