Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Allowing regular members to create polls

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello. This looks like a very useful plugin, but I was wondering if I can allow the registered forum users to create their own polls. I tried setting the roles & permissions for the members as well, but that doesn't enable the poll creation for the average members. Can I make this happen? Thanks.

Best Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

I use this plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/poll-plugin which is for individual threads, and does allow users with permissions to create polls.

Unfortunately it also means they can delete them, but I have a friendly forum so it's not such a worry.

I edited the html a little to post a warning and move the delete button away from the main part of the poll.

• KastangKastang New
    Answer ✓

Sorry for the delay @Tikijj,

Any rank that has kPoll set to manage (in Roles & Permissions) can create a poll by accessing the URL: http://YOUR_URL/VANILLA_DIRECTORY/plugin/kPoll.

This will work even without the registered member having access to Dashboard.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

while this doesnt actually move anything above the categories list, i have a potential solution for you. I created the shortpanel plugin which removes the categories, start new discussion and bookmarks from the panel when viewing a discussion. they still show normally on the discussions list and other pages.

I found the categories list unnecessary when reviewing a discussion and created a lot of extra clutter.

shortpanel

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

You're welcome. I'm glad people are getting use out of this plugin.

Answer ✓

If you want to hide the Categories on the Discussion page you can also use this:

.Discussion .BoxCategories {display: none; }

edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Another idea, and one that I am going with on my site!

Change the class.module file as above.

Then use this in the custom.css

#Panel .PollBox { position: fixed; top: 35%; right: 16%;}

You may have to alter the % depending on the set up of your site.

The big advantage of this is that it stays fixed on the page as the user scrolls down a discussion, so is always visible.

Sorry for the multiple posts but, as you may have guessed, I'm learning this as I go along.

Answers

• I can't delete the post so please ignore this question. I thought this poll plugin attached polls to individual posts, but now I realize it's a global poll on the sidebar. My apologies.

Answer ✓

I use this plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/poll-plugin which is for individual threads, and does allow users with permissions to create polls.

Unfortunately it also means they can delete them, but I have a friendly forum so it's not such a worry.

I edited the html a little to post a warning and move the delete button away from the main part of the poll.

• Thanks for the reply whu606. I actually tried that plugin, but whenever I click to create a poll I got an error message and I deleted it. However, I've tried it again after receiving a tip from another user and I deleted the 'Role Title' plugin and now it works fine. At first though, I kept getting an error message even after disabling the 'Role Title' plugin, but as it turns out the error message page was cached.

If you don't mind me asking one more question. Do you know if we could move the polls above the 'Categories' menu on the sidebar? If you've got lots of category, then the polls sinks pretty far down the post and it doesn't align with the whole message. Thanks again whu606.

tikijj

I think there must be.

I've added some other information above the categories, but not a plugin.

If no one comes up with a way to do it I'll have a go over the next couple of

• I'll play around with it a little too and let you know what I find out. I have some experience with smf, phpbb, and buddypress but I'm brand new with Vanilla, so we'll see what happens. Thanks whu606.

• KastangKastang New
    Answer ✓

Sorry for the delay @Tikijj,

Any rank that has kPoll set to manage (in Roles & Permissions) can create a poll by accessing the URL: http://YOUR_URL/VANILLA_DIRECTORY/plugin/kPoll.

This will work even without the registered member having access to Dashboard.

• Thanks for the reply @Kastang

Your kPoll plugin is awesome and I already have it installed to make use of it later on, but the plugin I was looking for was actually a poll that could be attached to individual threads and not a global post. I got the poll plugin whu606 recommended to work with my forum, but I haven't been able to make the poll appear above the categories to make it more in-line with the thread the poll is associated with. In any event, thank you for making a very useful plugin available for the community.

I got nowhere trying to move the poll above the categories @whu606

I'm just not familiar enough with Vanilla and I got a lot to learn. Whenever you get chance, I'd very much appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

while this doesnt actually move anything above the categories list, i have a potential solution for you. I created the shortpanel plugin which removes the categories, start new discussion and bookmarks from the panel when viewing a discussion. they still show normally on the discussions list and other pages.

I found the categories list unnecessary when reviewing a discussion and created a lot of extra clutter.

shortpanel

• Thanks! @hbf

That is a perfect solution really. It's like you said, you don't really need to see the 'categories' while drafting new discussions or viewing them. Your plugin works out perfectly for me. Thank you again and thanks to everyone who've helped out.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

You're welcome. I'm glad people are getting use out of this plugin.

edited January 2012

@tikijj

I know you are using the Short Panel plugin, but for future reference here's how to do it.

In Poll folder edit class.module.php line 81

<div class="Box PollBox">

Adding 'Poll Box' gives us a unique class name we can call in the css.

In your custom.css file add the following lines:

#Panel .PollBox {position: absolute; top: 55px;}<\code>

.Discussion .BoxCategories {color: #0F0; position:relative; top: 130px;}
    .Discussion .PanelCategories {position: relative; }<\code>

The first line moves the Poll box to the top of the page, the second one moves the categories heading and box down a bit, but only on the Discussion pages.

Change the px to suit your own layout.

Slight hitch!

Hadn't taken account of the Poll Box expanding when a poll is added!

You can increase the 130 to 300 or more to accommodate, but then the categories are a bit far down the page when there isn't a poll.

Answer ✓

If you want to hide the Categories on the Discussion page you can also use this:

.Discussion .BoxCategories {display: none; }

edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Another idea, and one that I am going with on my site!

Change the class.module file as above.

Then use this in the custom.css

#Panel .PollBox { position: fixed; top: 35%; right: 16%;}

You may have to alter the % depending on the set up of your site.

The big advantage of this is that it stays fixed on the page as the user scrolls down a discussion, so is always visible.

Sorry for the multiple posts but, as you may have guessed, I'm learning this as I go along.

• WOW~ Thanks! @whu606

The plugin is great and especially good for people who are uncomfortable messing with codes, but I'm definitely going with the your last solution. Having the poll scroll down with a discussion would make the experience of the forum user that much more convenient and intuitive.

Thanks again whu606 and thanks for not forgetting about this thread.

@tikijj

No worries.

It was something I wanted to know how to do myself, so your asking just gave me a prod.

You can also use the bottom: 0 rule instead, which is what I ended up doing. This keeps the Poll at the bottom of the page.

Cheers.

• edited January 2012

Hi everyone, I'm back with another question about the forum poll plugin. Does anyone know how enable the 'Edit', 'Reset', and 'Delete' function on permission basis?

As anyone who has used this plugin knows, any registered user can edit, reset, or delete the poll and I rather not give everyone that option.

I just deleted the functions from the class.pollmodule.php for the time being, but I was wondering if anyone figured out how to enable the permission function or knows how to enable it.

Thanks for your help everyone.

• Domos123Domos123 New
    edited January 2012

I too am playing with this, and realised the delete permission is defunct, ie, it does nothing. I tried adding a new permission, 'add', and removing the delete permission, but with no joy. Anyone know how to do this?

• Thanks for sharing the info @Domos123

I didn't try the delete function so I had no idea it didn't work. So once you put it up you are stuck with it lol. I'm also fiddling with it, so I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

• Something like this would only allow the author of the discussion to edit, if the sender object is picked up

However, I haven't been able to pick up the sender object in this context - maybe someone can figure it out.

around line 111

<?if($Session->CheckPermission('Plugins.Poll.Manage')):?>   

to this

<?if((($Session->CheckPermission('Plugins.Poll.Manage')) && ($Sender->EventArguments['Author']->Name == $Session->EventArguments['User']->Name))) :?> 

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.