Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to change the colors of my theme

daedae
edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Guys, I've been searching for a little while...but I cant seem to find the exact answer to what my question is...

I'm using the embed vanilla plugin as well as the theme that goes along with it, and Ive made a few small changes to the CSS, but I cant figure out how to change the background color....well Id like to change the background color as well as the color of the discussions and the text as well...

Thanks!

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Todd posted:

If you made your theme by copying style.css and changing in then you really are in for some headaches unless you are a css expert. We always recommend you leave style.css intact and then create a custom.css in your theme. Our theming quickstart shows the process.

Ste

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hrrm, so I could edit my custom.css, upload that and then link the theme to that im guessing?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012

I dont use embed theme, but would think in embed folder > design folder > custom.css file and make all edits to that file. I presume.

For background color

Presume you could change ..

#Body {
        margin: 0;
        width: 99.9%;
        position: relative;
            background:#234689;
    }

• edited January 2012

422 said:
    Todd posted:

If you made your theme by copying style.css and changing in then you really are in for some headaches unless you are a css expert. We always recommend you leave style.css intact and then create a custom.css in your theme. Our theming quickstart shows the process.

Ste

Steve in RTFM mood :p

yeah, just edit the custom.css and load in the theme via the dashboard. easiest is to start with.

what i do when vanilla wont use my css settings is i put a little !important at the end of it. like:
    body { background: white !important; }
    this makes it definatly use it.

• daedae
    edited January 2012

weird...that didnt work...

however, for giggles..I added:

Body { background: 000000; }

to the very top of the page, (above #body) and it worked...

Now I have to figure out how to change the colors of the rest of the items I want ><

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012

dont forget the #

css is initiated in order so, as Rick said add !important to an attribute

Dont forget vanilla uses duplicate id and class names, so you may have #Body .body etc

• Whats odd about that, is if I had the hash mark, the color I chose goes away..if I delete the hash mark, my color comes back....

• 422422 Developer MVP

Trust me ...

You may need to declare it as background-color:#343456;

• yeah, you'll prolly end up like my first try, i had 2800 lines of CSS nonsense just to get over all these problems, but then i found this nice little gem, and it helped me alot, since its a great base to start over and get everything pretty clean, without alot of !importanting (is that even a word?!)

• 422422 Developer MVP

Sometimes you also need to declare background-image etc

• edited January 2012

sir, colors without hashtags dont work, anything will be black and white, so logicly that comes back :p

how about you use words for the colors tho, some work great
    background: white;
    background: black;
    background: blue;
    and if all else fails...just try
    background: #ec008c;
    wich is @442 s favorite here...and is pretty distinctive for testing usage haha

• 422422 Developer MVP

so wanting to hit abuse button for that last comment lol.

I never use words for color ever period.

You can use so many elements to do it ..
    Game was a challenge... as was Air. They use multiple bg images, style.css fallback and png fixes.

View here

• edited January 2012

wait wait, you want to hit the abuse button because i ravish your favorite color for testing issues? ;)
    i said he could use the words, i didnt say its a good idea :p

...ohai purty MW3 forum you are beautiful!

• 422422 Developer MVP

Gonna start a thread

• edited January 2012

a thread? like "my handbag is colored in #ec008c!" or about that theme? :p
    ok maybe we should stop spamming this, im just in a great mood right now.

• yes, all of the rules say a rule without a hash wont work, but im telling you no matter what I plug in - it doesnt work WITH the hash tag... =/

• that all being said, Ive uploaded the clean theme and Im going to work with that, less lines means less headache for one such as myself!

• yessir, thanks for following my advice, i hope you will come up with something awesome to show us :)

• I will keep you guys posted...I havent used Vanilla very much, but I already love it - why, you may ask? The responsiveness of the community!

• yes, we are a happy little brotherhood! :D
    well ... umm... except for this example: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/143373#Comment_143373 talking of a superfast response here :p