Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to create Users Groups

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi, is creating Users Groups possible in Vanilla Forum?

Notice that i want that users can write and read only in the Groups they are subscribed on.

How can i obtain this behaviour?

Answers

• lucluc ✭✭
    Roles & Permissions in the dashboard
  • It seems in the Role&Permission module you can bind a Role to a certain Category. I want to bind Users to a Category, not Roles. Is it possible?

• 422422 Developer MVP

why not create different roles then.

1. member
    2. super member
    3. paid member
    4. ugly member
    5. sexy member

Then bind those roles to categories. Then shift members to different roles as is.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• edited January 2012

you can make categories visible/usable for different roles, thats how we handle our admin section for example. just click on edit next to your category on the dashboard and click "This category has custom permissions." the rest will go easy as dell ;)

• Right, but i want create categories like
    1. New York users
    2. London Users
    3. Paris Users
    4. ...

Do i have to create a role "New York" and bind this to Categories #1 ?
    Isn't that out of the idea of Role

Thanks

• hmm...just write "location: " infront of the position where the role title shows up in the meta and it seems logical?

• (For me) it seems correct but not logical. For my opinion Roles have to be Guest, Admin, General, Writer, etc etc ... not for you ?

• depends on the usage, you could also try to clone or edit the roles plugin to show up different headings for different roles, considering users can have more than one role

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

Nah roles are whatever role you want. Also roles can overlap. Users can have several roles. Comprende?

You can base you logic around roles. You could also base logic around other user meta. 'cept roles are designed to be queried.

grep is your friend.

• edited January 2012

4 vs 1.
    I raise the white flag. Go with "Roles & Permissions". Thanks a lot!

• 422422 Developer MVP

Isnt it fair to say you could rename roles, usergroups. Then its fixed :)

• 422422 Developer MVP

Theres a saying in uk , mickey mouse job ... Meaning its crap.

In australia it means the absolute opposite.

In usa i believe it involves wearing a large furry costume...

Its just a word huh

• you are welcome :)