Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2 Events List

dodgeriddodgerid
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Does anyone know if anyone has made a list of events that are tappable yet please, cannot find anything here so far.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Have a look at the eventi plugin.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Use grep. looking the code is the only way you are going to find all the the events.

grep -r   "FireEvent" .

for a start, it doesn't include magic events.

You are right there is a dire need for more documentation. But the team is very busy.

grep is your friend.

Answer ✓

Honestly, I find Wordpress a complete mess to work with. Most people I talk to with a programming background completely agree. However, Wordpress seems to work well for people that learned to program on Wordpress. This kind of makes sense, but it really gives one a skewed perspective of software in general.

I'm sure I wouldn't find Wordpress annoying if I was a Wordpress veteran, but I think this speaks to a basic programmer truth. We are all comfortable with the stuff we have we have experience with.

And as @x00 says, grep or an IDE that can search a directory structure is key to figuring stuff out. I jump into a lot of different applications and the one thing that helps me figure out how stuff works the most is this basic two step process:

1. Find a piece of text on the page that I want to figure out.
    2. Search through the code for that text.

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited December 2011

dodgerid said:
    a list of events that are tappable

Can you explain what you mean? What kind of events? Events that you can fire in the code?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answer ✓

• UnderDog said:

dodgerid said:
    a list of events that are tappable

Can you explain what you mean? What kind of events? Events that you can fire in the code?

Hi Underdog,

Sorry for the vagueness of my question, what I am after is basically a big list of all the events that I could hook into, say for example I wanted to add a panel style box at the bottom of every page with the logged in users names that you could click on to open up a chat conversation with the user using the jquery chat code for example.

It would be handy to look at a list and use it to decide the best place to insert code, where it must be inserted after etcetera.

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

Like Todd said :

Todd said:

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Eventi plugin fine but what events surround actions like logging in ?

Where do i look for say hooking into the post login process ?

• Ok so It doesn't look like im gonna get a list lol,

Have been playing around with eventi and after realising it was better to view the page source that try rolling over the icons I am away with it and am starting to enjoy this.

It has to be said though, If vanilla was as dev friendly as wordpress I would have had a couple of plugins released by now hehe, that being said, I love vanilla and it's definately my way forward, it oozes a clean and lush appearence and the plugin system makes a lot of sense, it is missing an approved installer for plugins though, maybe thats something for me to get my teeth into.

Any chance of creating a user contributable codex style wiki for it though, would give adopters that play with the code a lot easier playground and would make up for the lack of good quality plugins (not putting any down, there are some greats) i understand your building a commercial business at the same time, but more users equates to more commerce anyway and obviously the easier it is to mold, the easier it will pick up users, and ultimately contributors.

Just my thoughts, thanks for your help.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Use grep. looking the code is the only way you are going to find all the the events.

grep -r   "FireEvent" .

You are right there is a dire need for more documentation. But the team is very busy.

grep is your friend.

Answer ✓

Honestly, I find Wordpress a complete mess to work with. Most people I talk to with a programming background completely agree. However, Wordpress seems to work well for people that learned to program on Wordpress. This kind of makes sense, but it really gives one a skewed perspective of software in general.

I'm sure I wouldn't find Wordpress annoying if I was a Wordpress veteran, but I think this speaks to a basic programmer truth. We are all comfortable with the stuff we have we have experience with.

And as @x00 says, grep or an IDE that can search a directory structure is key to figuring stuff out. I jump into a lot of different applications and the one thing that helps me figure out how stuff works the most is this basic two step process:

1. Find a piece of text on the page that I want to figure out.
    2. Search through the code for that text.
  • x00 said:

grep -r   "FireEvent" .

Brilliant thank you.

• Todd said:

>

Sorry Todd, I wasn't comparing the two, and Vanilla by comparison is far better engineered and more logically set out, and Lush (i hate that word) in MHO.

It's true **blush, Wordpress was my springboard into plugin programming and probably php in general and I am a novice for want of a better word.

The only real point I was trying to make is that the best thing about wordpress is the Codex, I personally think that user contributed documentation is a key factor in helping people have the guts to dive in and give it a go. It's a lot easier to understand than diving into the code (although ultimately it's always the way to go), good contributors love to share and the small descriptions of 'do this with that and that with that' really help build confidence quickly.

Opps, silly me, just realised it was Joomla plugin programming that got me into php but hey.