Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 1.1.9 Released

2»

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited November 2009
    I always recommend giving Vanilla 2 a shot if you are even a novice developer. If nothing else, you can help us get through issues and get closer to release.
  • Hi, we are running a 1.1.5a version of Vanilla on the current server and as we're moving to a new host I'm investigating the best way to go : is there a way to move only data to get a 1.1.9 running with the old dataset ? Should I copy all the forum and run thru the upgrade process version by version ? Thanks for any info.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @oxomoxo - Check out the upgrade instructions to see what is involved with the upgrade from each version. The only time you need to worry about jumping versions is if there is a database change. It doesn't look like there were any after 1.1.5a, so you'll just need to make sure you update all of the updated files from each release:

http://vanillaforums.org/page/UpgradeInstructions

• I'm sorry to be so ignorant. I used to be a vanilla 1 user way back, and a forum regular, but I haven't been active much lately. I decided to do a new install and just assumed that Vanilla 2 was simply the latest version. Now it seems that Vanilla 1 and Vanilla 2 are being developed side by side. So I wonder why?

You've probably said this a thousand times, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so can someone tell me please:

1. Why is Vanilla 1 continuing?
    2. What are the reasons someone would choose 1 or 2?

Thanks.

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff

The core development team stopped working on Vanilla 1 years ago and have been actively developing Vanilla 2 ever since. The open source community still releases patches to version 1. We highly advise that you use Vanilla 2 over Vanilla 1.

• @Mark - you are me. We stopped using Vanilla 1 in 2011, but, because of the open source engine, we catch the parts of code from the first version. Moreover, sometimes our new developers need some programming help to solve code from the Vanilla 1. It slows our process of developing very much

• Vanilla 1 was actually very great tool and for some reason i miss it. Like really-really much. But it's okay since now we're using Vanilla 2 for our help with assignment writing site. It's better but has no spirit or whatever...