Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to get Like button on every comment in the discussion?

RRiosRRios New
edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I really like how this works. Can you tell me which file I would have to modify in order to get the like button on each and every comment? I think that would be more appealing to my users. Thanks!

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Not being rude to you, just the concept. You could quite easily achieve what you want , by fiddling with post discussion controller i think

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• I thinks when you click like, you like the discussion, not only the post so it no need to add like button every comment, my friend.

• Well, it is an essentially different user experience. If people are able to like each comment, then they are giving their support (not only within the website, as would be achieved with the Kudos or ThankfulPeople modules, but also in the social networks). It is different to say that you like the whole thing than it is to say that you like a certain comment. Do you see what I mean?

• RRios said:
    Well, it is an essentially different user experience. If people are able to like each comment, then they are giving their support (not only within the website, as would be achieved with the Kudos or ThankfulPeople modules, but also in the social networks). It is different to say that you like the whole thing than it is to say that you like a certain comment. Do you see what I mean?

I'm not sure I like the idea that users can put comments by any user on a social network. For example, a mod could leak staff-only discussions through Facebook...

• RRiosRRios New
    edited January 2012

I'm not sure I like the idea that users can put comments by any user on a social network. For example, a mod could leak staff-only discussions through Facebook...

The use of the mod is for the staff to decide, right? In either case, should they want to 'maliciously' post a comment on Facebook, they could just do copy/paste... Maybe I don't get your point.

• 422422 Developer MVP

What about spammers posting stuff then clicking like... Would be a nightmare.

• RRiosRRios New
    edited January 2012

But can't that happen anyway? That case should be handled by flood control anyhow, right?

• not a good idea i think...not sure about the hows and whys tho.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Plus why have likes for comments that could be just lol or :)

In the scheme of stupid ideas this is on a grand scale

• @422 That is a little rude.

I wonder why you guys have to like the idea before helping me, why you assume you know every possible context and application of the forum framework, and why you get judgmental. Would you kindly be helpful, rather? Thank you.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Not being rude to you, just the concept. You could quite easily achieve what you want , by fiddling with post discussion controller i think

• I see. Would you kindly point me to the place where the controller is documented? Thanks again!

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012

Im on my ipad, but will look later if i go back in ofice. Its 8pm here lol, been on the go since 4am. Personally i would wait for likes to be released by vanilla as you see it on here or use voting plugin

• Same happened to me today; it's 5 am here. Thank you again for your help.

• The plugin takes current URL. If you are on a link like comment/50, automatically the comment is liked, discussion isn't but the bug is that it is always shown on the top.

• any idea on how to move that like button after the post?

• download some other plugins - study them, look at the events they trigger on, and move it where you want it to be triggered.

e,g, look at signatures plugin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.