Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Categories locked

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey, I'm having an issue with posting new discussions... I can't select a category where to put it, and everything goes into Root. The categories are present in the dropdown menu but unclickable for all users. I installed a few plugins recently (tags, Q&A and polls), but disabling them doesn't seem to solve the issue. Thanks for answer

The categories in the dropdown menu appear grey btw, not black

Why is this marked as answered when no answer was given?

Best Answer

• Answer ✓

Well, crap. I feel silly. The problem was simply that I had "Display root categories as headings." checked, and all my categories are root level.

Thanks for the help, and sorry to take up your time.

Answers

• I'm having this exact problem. Anyone found a solution yet?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

lordK

Why is this marked as answered when no answer was given?

because you got a response from SFarbolin.

You need to click 'reject' in responses that you don't feel resolve your issue.

• edited January 2012

It was marked answered well before I posted.

Forgive me for dragging up an old topic, but this is the only reference to the problem I'm having that I can find.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@SFarbolin - ah, didn't notice the date of the OP...

• Accidental clickage

Have you checked your role an permissions carefully?

grep is your friend.

• edited January 2012

I'm admin, so I have all permissions. I can still post to the General category because that is the default value. I can even change the order of categories to post in whatever the new default value is. However, if I try to select a different category from the drop down, it won't select, and it clears the default selection. This seems like more of a formatting problem than anything.

I'll also note that I have only been using Vanilla since yesterday, and my knowledge of it's inner workings are very minimal so far.

Also the problem is present in both the "Rounder" theme that I am using and when I switch back to the default.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

what it sound like

<option disabled="disabled"></option>

note this line in Gdn_Form::CategoryDropDown $Disabled = $Depth == 1 && $DoHeadings; and $DoHeadings = C('Vanilla.Categories.DoHeadings');

have you enabled DoHeadings?

Note root CategoryID needs to be -1 in the database, if is 0 you could have trouble.

grep is your friend.

• Forgive my ignorance. I keep seeing references to Gdn_Form, but I'm not clear on where that is.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm just pointing out the references to explain what might be happening. don't mess with the core, just try my suggestions.

grep is your friend.

• I'm not clear on what you are suggesting. What file(s) am I supposed to be editing?

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

Well you shouldn't really be editing any file. Unless you have added DoHeadings to your config. If not you can forget that.

I suggest ti to do with the database. If it can't find root category, then permissions that cascade with not be applied. Root category should be -1, and categories immediately under the root (depth 1) should have a parent category of -1

if you run

SELECT * FROM GDN_Category

in phpAyAdmin or some Query Browser and copy the output here

grep is your friend.

• Ah yes. I see that the Root CategoryID is -1, and all categories have a ParentCategoryID of -1.

The categories appear on the list on the side of the page as well as in the drop down menu on the "Start New Discussion" page. They are just not selectable in either.

• Answer ✓

Well, crap. I feel silly. The problem was simply that I had "Display root categories as headings." checked, and all my categories are root level.

• can you post the result of the query?

also

SELECT * FROM GDN_Permission WHERE JunctionTable = 'Category'

and

SELECT * FROM GDN_Role 

also try pointing to
    http://[site]/utility/update

grep is your friend.

• The whole problem is gone now. It was just that one setting that was the problem.

• Did the trick for me as well, it's only a shame it took a month to get the answer.
    Thanks anyway

• yep that is the DoHeadings thing.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

lordK said:
    Did the trick for me as well, it's only a shame it took a month to get the answer.
    Thanks anyway

Occasionally things slip through the net. if somethign doesn't click straight away, then people don't have an answer they have to leave it. This is a community based support.

I solved this problem by looking at the code.

grep is your friend.

• Where to edit doheading? I have same problem

• SFarbolin said:

MyHealthFellow said:
    Where to edit doheading? I have same problem

apparently uncheck the above in dashboard.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.