Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Great Theme, So far So GOOD! Quick Question????

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

From a webmaster's point of view and site owner. I really like what you did with this theme. Was wondering if there is a way to place a variety of backgrounds into the system and allow the members to change the look and feel for their own viewing pleasure?

Also is this theme carried over to the plug-ins or apps, so if I make static/active pages will I still be able to carry over the background easily?

This is quite a unique look, it has many potentials.

Thanks again!

Best Answer

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Opportunity said:
    Was wondering if there is a way to place a variety of backgrounds into the system and allow the members to change the look and feel for their own viewing pleasure?

will need some plugin for it

Also is this theme carried over to the plug-ins or apps, so if I make static/active pages will I still be able to carry over the background easily?

• static pages like what? u want to embed this theme somewhere? - please provide some more details :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Opportunity said:
    Was wondering if there is a way to place a variety of backgrounds into the system and allow the members to change the look and feel for their own viewing pleasure?

will need some plugin for it

• static pages like what? u want to embed this theme somewhere? - please provide some more details :)

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited January 2012

Opportunity - you could create a range of CSS sheets to call in the different backgrounds, and then use something like this from DynamicDrive: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/stylesheetswitcher.htm

by editing your default.master, to allow users to swap between stylesheets.

I have it working here (as a gag, mainly) allowing users at work to choose a less obvious theme: http://whu606.com - choose Stealth from the Quick Links menu to see it work.

It persists across the pages by setting a cookie.

• here is my work in progress, http://forums.opportunity-global.com/vanilla/

I'm sure most fixes could be accomplished with CSS, but with my goals and ambition I have alot on my plate. Can we look at the quick and easy way...

As per the pages, I was thinking that a back ground border so the content no matter what it may be can be placed withing the confines of the border.

also the page can use the background in many other places such as box frames and buttons within a solid color page.

I've been developing sites since the early 90's but not a programmer. My specialty is more towards the design and logic. I graduated and was in the military just as the PC was making the desk cluttered... LOL

You are free to pick my brains on ways to improve this from my overall experience in online business. Overall as I mentioned this really gives a new look and feel to the forum experience.

Will look for ways to meld this with other types of functional sites; ie. classifieds, portals and B2C services.

I have contributed last year but the web host I was using turned out to be a syndicate so I lost the email I used here.

Thanks for the suggestions, hope we can come up with less complicated solutions any way...

Cheers....

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Opportunity - your link doesn't work.

Not sure about complicated. I wouldn't have thought there was anything quicker and easier than modifying the css - in my experience that's how most changes are implemented in themes.

The theme is governed by a custom.css file.

You would simply copy it, and add a different background.

Stick in the href to the css files and the javascript to swap stylesheets in the head section of your default.master and your done.

Good luck anyway.

• http://forum.opportunity-global.com/vanilla/

sorry just remove s from the sub domain...

I know how to tweak CSS but to reconfigure I'm not that experienced with how to make it all work. Would be nice to have a CSS editor for all themes in the Dashboard... thanks for the help.

I was also considering marketing the forums to art museums and similar outlets, the skin can be a painting like a warhol or other artist of the day...

Just a thought.

• still not working... it seems the domain is parked

• hey there love this theme but having issues with background askew and the avatars not showing (with arrows between them) to the left of the discussion as you have shown in demo? see http://revelstoked.org

• 422422 Developer MVP

Will look at this when i get in e office

• 422422 Developer MVP

Ok I have looked but I cannnot even see the avatars in your src code for that page. Do they display in default mode ?

i think issue with the hooks - but not sure

• 422422 Developer MVP

Yer , just checked ours and not sure why his avatars arent showing...

• So should i re install or ? thx!

You might need to check with theme hooks in the this theme

• sorry, where do i find this?

In your theme folder find a file with name ending in hooks.php. If you r having one then u will have to compare code with the original go theme code and if u don't have any then that's what u r missing

• I dont see a hooks.php file in the themes folder but these ones?

/public_html/revelstoked/themes/EmbedFriendly/class.embedfriendlythemehooks.php

/public_html/revelstoked/themes/mobile/class.mobilethemehooks.php

/public_html/revelstoked/applications/skeleton/settings/class.hooks.php

/public_html/revelstoked/applications/conversations/settings/class.hooks.php

/public_html/revelstoked/applications/vanilla/settings/class.hooks.php

/public_html/revelstoked/applications/dashboard/settings/class.hooks.php

yeah you are missing original hooks file that comes with the go theme - check out or download the theme againa and use its hooks file

• call me crazy but i cant find the hooks file anywhere in the go theme. i even downloaded again. what folder is it in?

• 422422 Developer MVP

For it to work you need a conversation goin on in the discussion. But let me relook at the theme. May be a custom file we didnt share

• 422422 Developer MVP

Ok I will give you our complete go zip. BUT you must go thru all files first and make changes before you go live.
    EMAIL me to get the zip