Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Importin from SMF 1.x - problems with BB-code

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

We are planning to migrate a large and old forum from SMF 1.x to Vanilla, but after doing the convertsion with Vanilla Porter, we are running into problems with BB-codes (Quotes mostly) and message formatting/rendering in general.

Example:

[quote author=Username link=topic=1622.msg52137#msg52137 date=1218481034]The quoted text goes here[/quote]

In Vanilla these quotes are not shown correctly. Instead they are shown as-is, with the exception of the closing [ /quote] being dimished. Note that there are also a lot of nested quotes, obviously. Tried the NBCC plugin, but it produced weird results as well.

Any experiences or suggestions from SMF migrates?

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012 Answer ✓

quotes are done through the quotes plugin:
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/quotes-plugin

I'm going to be realising shortly a porter plus script. which has a bunch options here is s screen shot:

porter plus

not the utf-8 thing won't be released, as it is not useful yet.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• Okay, now I am noticing that Vanilla ads DIV stuff to my example, even though it is tagged as CODE. What I entered there was obviosly clean BB-coding.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012 Answer ✓

I'm going to be realising shortly a porter plus script. which has a bunch options here is s screen shot:

porter plus

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

If you have specific requirement please sponsor. I've just go to get back to the person who sponsored the initial version before releasing it.

The html converter is a pre-parser (if you know what that means). HtmlLawed will sanitise.

grep is your friend.

• Yes, the Quotes plugin is enabled. It seems that the plugin does not support the additional parameters that SMF is using. We are just running a parser through the database that cleans the BB-code of extra data, and re-formats the Author property as it appears on Vanilla.

Could we pre-test with your new Porter?

No sponsor here, sorry. We are running a fan forum of professional ice hockey club, but we need to pay our bills with whatever banner adverts provide. And they don't provide much, while we do have 50K pageviews per day.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

Well it has arbitrary search and replace with regular expressions so you can format anything to fit.

However that is somethign I'm still waiting to settle up on. I've mentioned you to him. It is not huge sums, or anything.

grep is your friend.

• edited February 2012

My Server Admin made a little piece of Ruby coding that cleans up the quotes. Feel free to download and exploit:

https://gist.github.com/6e3563570aa9b2e7a943

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

Just a heads up valid names are determined by ValidateUsernameRegex

You can set in config:

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationRegex']='\d\w_';
    $Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationLength']='{3,20}';

Generally you want it alpha numeric though, if at all possible.

grep is your friend.

• x00 said:

porter plus

Good news, I have a SMF 2.0 forum, convert to phpbb3, then vanilla and the bbcode, emoticons and the links are a mess.
    I really want to switch to vanilla, but need an efficient converter.

• Whatever happened to porter plus? I happen to have the same bbcode issues.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited July 2012

@FancyboyNYC I'll mention @x00 for you for this (very interesting) topic. Normally, when you 'bump' a topic, older than 3 months, it's frowned upon (and I hate frowning), but I'll let it slide this time...

There was an error rendering this rich post.