Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Does any have modified vanilla for classified ads site?

exichloexichlo New
edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm looking for a simple and stable script to run a classified ads site. Is vanilla good for it?

Tagged:

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Thanks for the eail Bend.

We wont be doing a classified ads theme albeit ironically we are currently developing our own classifieds advertising website.

Have you checked out phpmyads i think its called.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I haven't heard of phpmyads... trying to google it but it seems that the script is too old or something because I cannot find a working demo of it.

May I ask if you guys start creating your own system from scratch or base on some scripts? Perhaps you can release it to the world when it's done...sniff sniff :)

• http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=php+classifieds

If you are interested in a such a plugin maybe you could sponsor someone like myself, rather than just expecting the OS Community just to serve you, without contribution.

grep is your friend.

• I think OS community is for everyone especially broke a55 students like me. OS is awesome because people are contributing their skills, knowledges or money. I sadly have none of those but it doesn't mean that I will run once I have collected some money.

Attitude is something but Gratitude is everything. ;)

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

great

There are some solutions out there, if you search. vanilla isn't really one of them

I know people like the forum format form pretty much anything, but best bet is always go for the closest thing to what you want.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012

We always create our own systems, takes longer but we get exact functionality we need.

Perhaps look at themeforest or codecanyon.

Our site wont be a reseller system, its a one off. Found at kajoo.com.au currently underwraps

• exichloexichlo New
    edited January 2012

I don't know about the functionality but I really LIKE your designs.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012

Thanks. Perhaps checkout this. http://osclass.org/

• I have checked them and didn't like the design much.. Back then when I still have some money and I bought Classipress (http://demos.appthemes.com/?theme=classipress). I like Classipress but they don't have an option where guest/unregistered users can post ads.

I find that when starting a new classified ad site.. it's very hard to get users signing up to be able to post ads. It would be much better to have an open door for them.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Thats nice. Its never a good idea in my opinion to allow guests to post annonymously. But I am sure if thats ur thing there is a work around

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited February 2012

I'm almost done with my ads posting plugin for Vanilla. will give discount to anyone who's willing to help me test the Plugin :) You can find the details at http://www.goodoldmemories.com/2012/02/members-ad-posting-for-plugin-vanilla-2-0-18-coming-soon/

kindly drop me a comment there (in my wordpress site) for bugs and feedback. thanks!

• 422422 Developer MVP

Replied. :)

wow that was fast! :) thanks 422

• 422422 Developer MVP

Cannot test on your site though, because you havent set recaptcha in registration

edited February 2012

oh crap! yeah sorry bout that. fixed! now that you mentioned it. i think i should include the permission on this. so that applicant can't post until they are confirmed and full pledge member.

• 422422 Developer MVP

will test again

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited February 2012

Slider needs sorting. Keeps refreshing and sliding from right to left in continuous loop.

The $ issue can be solved using jquery.

var temp = '';
            function disableTxt() {
                var field = document.getElementById("price");
                if(field.value != '') {
                    temp = field.value;
                }
                field.style.display = "none";
                field.value = '';
            }
            function enableTxt() {
                document.getElementById("price").style.display = "block";
                document.getElementById("price").value = temp;
            }
            $('#price').change(function() {
                $(this).val($(this).val().match(/\d*\.?\d+/));
        });

ah its actually supposed to loop perfectly if it reaches the minimum 5 items. maybe stopping the auto scroll while the items are still less than 5 will help solve the confusion. as for the $... what do you mean? are you entering a "$" in the price field? should not be as it is pure decimal data type... hmm... ok i think adding another field for the currency will be a good idea.

Thanks for testing @422

• 422422 Developer MVP

The script above sanitises the input element as user types price, removes every symbol apart from .