Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Need help getting user profiles on the left of discussion page.

reedcreedc New
edited March 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello all!

I just recently discovered Vanilla and I'm absolutely in love! I've had a forum for about 3 years running phpbb3. Since day one I've slowly (and very painstakingly) tried to modernize the look, feel, and overall functionality of the forum, but phpbb is so clunky and the coding structure is a total nightmare that I pretty much got nowhere. I've wanted something new and ahead of the curve in terms of functionality but nothing else quite had the exact features I needed for me to commit to a switch. Wouldn't you know that everything I was looking for in forum software has been sitting here this whole time! Needless to say I downloaded immediately and have been getting myself aquatinted with Vanilla this past month and know my way around fair enough.

I absolutely love how Vanilla is set up, and I'm wanting to keep my forum as "vanilla" as possible without dragging in a complete phpbb/vbulletin/etc. layout clone. I do however want a few minor layout changes to match how other forums work. The biggest being the profiles of the poster of each comment.

I'm wondering if somebody could help me out with getting my user profiles to show up on the left of the page. A perfect example is the penny arcade forum. I know theres been a fair amount of discussions regarding their theme, but the way the profiles are formatted on the side is something I'd really love to have.

Is there anyone that can help me with this? It looks like the profiles are called in the views/discussion/helper_functions.php file, but what changes do I need to make to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Thats a heap of coding. But totally dooable. AFAIK there is no theme that currently supports this frmwork. I could be wrong.

This is something you would need to develop or at least pay for someone to develop for you, or indeed wait for someone to release something with similar features that you can bastardise

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

• Not quite. I'm looking for how to do this. See how the avatar and username is in its own box to the left of the comment? I know that isnt simply css styling and would require a little code editing, but I dont know what or where to make said code adjustments.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Thats a heap of coding. But totally dooable. AFAIK there is no theme that currently supports this frmwork. I could be wrong.

This is something you would need to develop or at least pay for someone to develop for you, or indeed wait for someone to release something with similar features that you can bastardise

• @422 Right on. I'll try to fiddle around with it then. Thank you for the quick responses!

I'll update with any progress, but in the mean time if anyone else has any further knowledge of this, please share! :)

• 422422 Developer MVP

Just remember to NOT touch core code, work on files only in your custom theme.