Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Errors on Vanilla Forums - Help Please!

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

I'm having serious issues and bugs with my forum. This happened while I hosted with Vanilla and it continues to happen now, while I'm hosted on a new server. Is my forum faulty?? My programmer decided to create a new forum and transfered all my information, once he transferes everything - all the same errors occurred! I'm totally at a loss, do I have to switch out of using a Vanilla forum?

Not sure if this info helps, but I have 1,000 members and got almost 3 million hits in the past 2 weeks. Getting a dedicated server is an option, for more CPU etc. but I'm not convinced it will help me with all my bugs.

I'm totally disappointed in the vanilla forum. I'm worried that I need to switch to vBulletin or something similar, after paying a hefty price for all my Vanilla forum features, as well as members being accustomed to a certain template. Is there any hope of getting these bugs banned?? What are my options?

-Hannah

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

I concur with whu606.

There is no clue as to where the problem lies. There are lot of third party extensions, it could be anything. Of course vanilla has some bugs like any new sofware, but there is no reason you can't have a polished forum, if you get good advice and development.

I would say it is pretty disappointing that your programmer couldn't solve the issues for you.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Well the first thing you need to do is give a proper explanation of the problems that you say you are facing.

You might also do a search of the forum to see if similar issues have been raised and resolved.

'Bugs' and 'all the same errors' - really, are people meant to magically know what is happening on your forum?

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

I concur with whu606.

There is no clue as to where the problem lies. There are lot of third party extensions, it could be anything. Of course vanilla has some bugs like any new sofware, but there is no reason you can't have a polished forum, if you get good advice and development.

I would say it is pretty disappointing that your programmer couldn't solve the issues for you.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

1000 members

3 million hits in 2 weeks.

Average forum, gets 10% of its membership viewing weekly if your lucky.

So 100 members x 2 = 200

Isnt that like 15,000 hits / member = each user visits forum over 1000 times / day.

And you are whinging ?

Beggars belief

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Yeah, I agree with x00, i also feel disapponited with your programmer he cant pin point nor come up with a valid reason for the issue?

@422

Beggars belief

I felt that about the whole post, tbh.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Love farmyard smellin threads with bovine beasts

• Thank you @xoo we've been messaging. To everyone else, the glitches so far are:

-Admin profile gets the 'bonk, something funky..' error. Cannot do anything or edit anything with the profile.
    -Notifications don't work at all. They don't reload current ones and the email notifications haven't worked at all for at least 1 month.
    -In my server dashboard, I get errors all the time to "Kill pages" - so something has to be wrong with the database.
    -There's a weird circle and X that appears on the forum page all the time, kinda just floats around.
    -My programmer created a second vanilla and uploaded everything. All was working fine, then all the errors came back. He said he noticed this happened when he did the member and profile upload! *I payed vanilla to create a customized feature where the questionnaire answers (another customized feature) are alongside their name in the dashboard. My programmer strongly suspects that this is the issue, but he cannot fix it, since it's a feature that Vanilla created.
    -The site is extremelyyyy slow even though I upgraded to a bigger server. I'm currently w Bluehost on their most expensive plan. It might help to get a dedicated server, but I'm not ready for that w all these glitches!

I'm not whining, I'm frustrated. I been using the vanilla forum for about a year and had glitches from the very beginning. They thought I was complaining, I switched to another hoster, and low and behold the same glitches happen! That means that there has to be something wrong with one of the customized features (that I payed for) since nobody else around here is experiencing the same issues that I am. I came here for technical support and would appreciate advice.

Thanks, Hannah

@Balabootsas - you say you have a programmer, so why hasn't he or she looked through this forum?

At the very least they could find out how to get past the 'Bonk' page to a specific error if they bothered to look.

Similarly, if you do a search for 'slow site' you will find a recent discussion.

I'm with bluehost on their cheapest plan, and I was able to more than halve the amount of time the site was being 'throttled'.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited February 2012

@Balabootsas what's the sense of having a programmer if he can't tweak codes or dig down the problem?

I'm a programmer too and one thing my Boss always asks me is to do is "pin point the problem" because that's what we are being paid for.

I can't say to him "the problem is the framework, and i can't do anything on it"...ill definitely gonna get sacked in no time.

• 422422 Developer MVP

@aolee no , your wrong . Your supposed to spit the dummy, blame the world. Ask for a payrise and resign !

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited February 2012

@422 lol I'm already thinking about it :)

• Lol you guys. Seriously though, it seems to be a bug bigger than he can fix, as he's not familiar w Vanilla forums. @x00 reached out and I'm really grateful. I'll update you guys when I have one, thanks!