Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"Notify me when people comment on my discussions" doesn't work

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm running a moderately busy support forum (lastest release version of Vanilla).

I get consistent reports from my users that the "Notify me when people comment on my discussions." does not work. They do not get notifications for followup posts.

At least some other e-mail notifications do work - private messages, for example. I haven't been able to figure out if anyone at all gets notifications, or if it just some of my users.

I've tried both the host native email program, as well as using gmail's smtp.

Any clues? Other settings that need to be in effect? (e.g., from the main admin panel)

This is a very frustrating problem as my users would really like to know when their question has been answered!

Thanks.

Answers

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

have you told them to check their SPAM folder?

• edited March 2012

Duh.. of course. I've spent hours and hours on this. This isn't just one or two stupid users, it is a LOT of very smart users.

Maybe I'm the stupid one missing some Vanilla admin setting.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited March 2012

There is no easy way to help you here, but let's give it a try...

Find out at least one of the users that's having this problem.

Recreate that user with exactly the same role, permissions, etc. Let's give this new user the username : "dummy"

Try to get an email address similar to that same user : dummy@email.com

Try to replicate the problem that the user is having. Write down as many information as you can about the problem. Topic number, post number, who started the topic, etc, etc.

If you can replicate the problem, you're on the right track to a solution.

If you cannot replicate the problem, that's not the thing we hope for.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

Also, what version of Vanilla are you running, what other plugins do you have enabled?

• I found the same issue, I believe the issue is the the activitymodel class. I have logged it here:

vanillaforums.org/discussion/19661/event-issue-in-class-activitymodel-php-beforesendnotification#Item_1

• Great! 3 crossposts in your first visit. congrats man!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Just FYI, this seems to happen for all my users. Nothing to figure out - it just doesn't work. We've taken to tell users to bookmark discussions they need to follow, and just don't bother trying the notify me on comments.

• @UnderDog congrats on your own 3 cross posts too :)

• How to fix it? Do you have any answer?