Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can't install Vanilla Forums on my 1&1 web server

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

As the title states, I'm having difficulty installing Vanilla on my 1&1 web server.

I've up-loaded it into my server, set-up a MS SQL Database in my 1&1 Control Panel, and set the whole dang directory/files to full file permissions.

Can anyone here help me out? :)

I get the following error:

You must have the MySQL driver for PDO enabled in order for Vanilla to connect to your database.
Some of your folders do not have the correct permissions.

Using your ftp client, or via command line, make sure that the following permissions are set for your vanilla installation:

chmod -R 777 E:\kunden\homepages\31\snip\www\Vanilla/conf

chmod -R 777 E:\kunden\homepages\31\snip\www\Vanilla/uploads

chmod -R 777 E:\kunden\homepages\31\snip\www\Vanilla/cache

Best Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

Make sure that your host has the PDO drivers enabled.

Google for it how to get that to work.

AFTER the PDO drivers are working, correct the permission settings that you quoted.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

That's actually a good question. MS SQL should work fine although the SQL that was created might seem to be purely MySQL sent to the SQL server through PDO driver.

The actual issue is that Internet Information Server (IIS) isn't supported. So you shouldn't be worried about MS SQL but more about IIS, in my opnion.

Just to be clear : SQL is the language you talk to the database with... but there are several types : MySQL, MS SQL, etc, etc. Some of the Vanilla SQL is understood by MS SQL but not sure if ALL is understood by MS SQL

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

Make sure that your host has the PDO drivers enabled.

Google for it how to get that to work.

AFTER the PDO drivers are working, correct the permission settings that you quoted.

• Quick question: Does this only work on Linux based servers? Or will MS SQL work just fine?

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

That's actually a good question. MS SQL should work fine although the SQL that was created might seem to be purely MySQL sent to the SQL server through PDO driver.

The actual issue is that Internet Information Server (IIS) isn't supported. So you shouldn't be worried about MS SQL but more about IIS, in my opnion.

Just to be clear : SQL is the language you talk to the database with... but there are several types : MySQL, MS SQL, etc, etc. Some of the Vanilla SQL is understood by MS SQL but not sure if ALL is understood by MS SQL

• So I'd be better off switching to a Linux based server, then. Eh?

I've e-mailed my hosting company on this on the PDO driver issue and this is what they replied to me:

Dear -, (Customer ID: -)

Thank you for contacting us.

PDO drivers is already enabled in our server. So installing your application will not be an issue. Can you tell us the other requiremets of Vanilla Forums?

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

I've sent them the requirements list for Vanilla Forums and see what they have to say.

But if anyone knows how to remedy this issue, feel free to fill me in! :D

• What you need to do is to send them to the page that Vanilla generates, so let them click the 1 or 2 installation pages and see that the error message shows up.

• I will once 1&1 replies to my previous email. 1&1 takes a while to get back to me. :(

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

Linux based servers? Or will MS SQL...

these are not directly comparable, one is an operating system the other is a db system

best to run on linux, apache server, with mySQL. There is sql query building driver, but it specifically set up for mysql, not MS SQL, or any other. This is an additional requirement from PDO. There is no query building driver, for MS SQL at the moment, as nobody has been inclined to code it.

PDO stands for PHP data objects, it is a way of linking the code to the database, for efficient querying.

if you are not on a linux hosting you are probably on IIS, although you can sometimes make it work it is not directly supported, and best not to do this unless you know waht you are doing.

grep is your friend.

• I've switched to a Linux but I still have the same error.. Anyone know why? :\

You must have the MySQL driver for PDO enabled in order for Vanilla to connect to your database.
    Some of your folders do not have the correct permissions.

Using your ftp client, or via command line, make sure that the following permissions are set for your vanilla installation:

chmod -R 777 E:\kunden\homepages\31\d407186646\www\Forums/conf

chmod -R 777 E:\kunden\homepages\31\d407186646\www\Forums/uploads

chmod -R 777 E:\kunden\homepages\31\d407186646\www\Forums/cache

I've:
    -Set up a MySQL Databse (MySQL 5.0)
    -Set the Global PHP version to: php 5
    -Set Local PHP Settings: Register globals, Allow URL fopen, Allow URL include, Display errors, Zend Framework (It made: php.ini, .htaccess)

• the error is from the last line here:

if (!class_exists('PDO'))
             $this->Form->AddError(T('You must have the PDO module enabled in PHP in order for Vanilla to connect to your database.'));

if (!defined('PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_USE_BUFFERED_QUERY'))
             $this->Form->AddError(T('You must have the MySQL driver for PDO enabled in order for Vanilla to connect to your database.'));

In other words you have pdo, but it is lacking that particular attribute.

grep is your friend.

• edited March 2012

I did this "Click & Build" tool on 1&1 on my control panel and saw that I can simply install the forum on my web server by clicking "Install".

Now, I would gladly settle for this BUT I can't customize it. (Plug-ins, etc..) I can't even enable plug-ins that are already installed!

For security reasons, the following changes and modifications are not possible in Click & Build applications:
    Installation of new templates, new plugins, new modules, new components, or new language packages.
    Insertion of custom source code (e.g. HTML, CSS, JavaScript, or PHP) in preinstalled templates or other places in Click & Build applications.

Thank you for your understanding.