Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

My first custom theme for Vanilla Forums, Please comment.

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello everyone,

I know bits and pieces of HTML & CSS, and using what I've got I built my first custom theme for Vanilla Forums — it's got a fluid theme that's got a min-width of 980px for 1024px screens and max-width of 1200px for larger screens, all done using CSS.

A live demo is [here]. Please take a look. Any suggestions and feedback are most welcome. (Post your comments HERE.)

The aim was to keep it simple (and not too decorated), but good looking. Please let me know if I am missing something. Thanks!

EDIT: And before anyone asks, this theme is custom-built for Boy Geek. But I plan to make more and make 'em available for free. After all, it just some CSS, why charge for it. :)

Best Answer

Answers

• It looks good, simple but OK. If you didn't know there's styling errors when you click a category.

• edited March 2012

@amphios : Styling error? Can you provide a screenshot? Is this what you are referring to? (If so, it's not an error — I let it be that way as I had to idea as to how I should style it.)

Imgur

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

I thought I was the only Indian down here. Welcome @badleaner.

The theme looks good but I dont know why there are so many grey themes coming for vanilla. I dont see the variety from others except from @422

for feedback -

Binoculars for search box is a bad idea. Replace it with magnifying glasses.

Also I thing the panel background color should be different.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Answer ✓

No, if you click on 'General' itself.

untitled

• @amphios : Can you refresh the browser? Ctrl + F5, and by the way, which browser are you using?

• @aery : They wanted the forum to look a tad-bit playful, whilst keeping it formal / nice. Not too much of anything.

• edited March 2012

@amphios : looks like it's a cache issue! Logged-in users see it fine. I will clear the cache right away and see if that helps. :) Thanks for reporting it!

EDIT: Appears to be a bug. It will need some testing :(

• edited March 2012

@amphios : Fixed! Take a look when you can, and do let me know what you think. :) Thanks.

• edited March 2012

@aery : IMHO — a proper combination of black, white and grey colors in design strains the eye LESS than any other combo. That's why I chose those colors.

I am very new to Vanilla — I installed Vanilla for the very first time just about a week ago (although I was planning to use it for a long time). Besides I didn't use any other theme other than the default blue Vanilla theme.

The theme looks good but I dont know why there are so many grey themes coming for vanilla. I dont see the variety from others except from @422.

So, what you said above is probably because most of them wanted a design that's good for the eye?! :) It's not a coincidence that most designers think the same in some aspects.

PS: Like I said earlier, folks at Boy Geek stressed on a design that's simple and pleasant on the eye. So it is.