Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Allow Members to delete their own posts

brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Is there a way to allow Members to delete their own posts? I looked under the Roles and Permissions, and found an option that would allow Members to delete all comments / discussions, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for an option that would allow Members to delete their own discussions / comments.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

brainolution said:
    @badlearner - I had tried your solution before posting it here, and also mentioned that in my original message. But thanks for trying to help. I appreciate that.

@hbf - The advanced option allows 'Edit', not 'Delete'. I think it should be designed such that Edit and Delete go together. If you are allowed to edit, you should be allowed to delete as well. I like this idea of having an option to allow Edit up to a certain time period. Even LinkedIn groups have it.

A workaround could be to do Edit, and then clear the original comments and put 'Deleted' as the new comment. But it still isn't as good as having a Delete.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

i actually do not allow editing after a certain time period, since my goal is to create new and better content, rather than modify or delete existing content.

but having it as an option wouldn't be a bad thing.

Answers

• edited March 2012

Have you tried going to: Dashboard > Users > 'Manage Roles & Permissions' and checking the permissions of a Role? (e.g. 'Member' role)

In the editing screen of a role, at the bottom, you'll see this:

Imgur

Try the circled options.

• Oops! Damn. @brainolution NOT follow the instructions above.

• brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
    edited March 2012

@badlearner - I had tried your solution before posting it here, and also mentioned that in my original message. But thanks for trying to help. I appreciate that.

@hbf - The advanced option allows 'Edit', not 'Delete'. I think it should be designed such that Edit and Delete go together. If you are allowed to edit, you should be allowed to delete as well. I like this idea of having an option to allow Edit up to a certain time period. Even LinkedIn groups have it.

A workaround could be to do Edit, and then clear the original comments and put 'Deleted' as the new comment. But it still isn't as good as having a Delete.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

brainolution said:

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

i actually do not allow editing after a certain time period, since my goal is to create new and better content, rather than modify or delete existing content.

• Apologies in advance, I'm new to Vanilla: Any solution for Vanilla1? Looks like the dashboard was introduced after our version (1.1.5a)

We haven't yet been able to convince 'the powers that be' to allow an upgrade to Vanilla2, but do you know of an add-on that adds the ability to delete your own comments/discussions (and only your own comments/discussions)? Did a search but didn't find anything obvious.

eg. http://vanillaforums.org/addon/95-comment-removal seems promising, but it also references a 'hide comment' option we don't have.

• hbf said:

brainolution said:

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.