Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to preserve code in email notifications?

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

The <style> and <script> tags, among many other xml tags, are being removed in the email. Is there a way to preserve them?

Best Answer

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    edited March 2012 Answer ✓

So in your example your email has a &lt;script&gt; "tag" rather than a <script> tag. No big deal, but usually when one uses the term <script> one is usually referring to something that actually executes javascript which is something that absolutely has no business in an email.

At any rate, Vanilla doesn't send html email right now and we don't have any timeline.

Answers

• Options

bump, anyone?

• Options

We don't have this right now because it's a big hassle. I don't think you'll ever get <script> tags in an email though haxx0r.

• Options
    edited March 2012

But I am able to send code with <script> tags via Gmail. There should be a way. Hmm... thanks anyway Todd.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

We have no issue with this on our non vanilla sites, i would reccomend though. Inline styling.

Js isnt supported in any emails i know of, but php can be parsed prior to sender functions.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Todd said:
    We don't have this right now because it's a big hassle. I don't think you'll ever get <script> tags in an email though haxx0r.

Think again! This is a screenshot of the email notification I received from Google Groups:

Imgur

While I do realize that the 'post reply via email' feature is a huge head-bang-bang for you, I just hope it makes it to the self-hosted forums at some point (and we don't have to wait for years).

• Options

While I do realize that the 'post reply via email' feature is a huge head-bang-bang for you, I just hope it makes it to the self-hosted forums at some point (and we don't have to wait for years).

You need proper resources to support this. Just bunging it in there is a bad idea.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Think again! This is a screenshot of the email notification I received from Google Groups:

You're example isn't a script tag in an email, right?

• Options
    edited March 2012

@Todd : (I don't understand exactly what you meant.) That screenshot is from my Gmail account.

• Options
    edited March 2012 Answer ✓

So in your example your email has a &lt;script&gt; "tag" rather than a <script> tag. No big deal, but usually when one uses the term <script> one is usually referring to something that actually executes javascript which is something that absolutely has no business in an email.

At any rate, Vanilla doesn't send html email right now and we don't have any timeline.

• Options

I am learning JS and PHP, so once I get to some level of proficiency in them (hopefully in a few months), I will see if something can be done about it. :-)