Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How i can show tooltip on parent category title?

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

I want to show the description (tooltip) of category title on sidepanel. Anyone can help?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    Answer ✓

hi @alannemkay

i noticed you recently purchased my zLikeComment Plugin (similar to the like a comment here in vanilla)

You may want to try this out.

download this file categories.php (just rename the categories.phps to categories.php) and drop it in your theme folder

/themes/default/views/modules/categories.php

make sure my zLikeComment Plugin is enabled

Check out my other Plugins here

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

find some unique way to identify it via id or class or reading the text of category in the sidepanel. Use firebug or some other web developer tool to find the html.

use jQuery to add a title tag to the anchor or modify the program that displays the category to do the same. I have never used pockets plugin but maybe it can solve your problem.

Take a look at the various tutorial sites on jQuery, php, and css.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    Answer ✓

hi @alannemkay

i noticed you recently purchased my zLikeComment Plugin (similar to the like a comment here in vanilla)

You may want to try this out.

download this file categories.php (just rename the categories.phps to categories.php) and drop it in your theme folder

/themes/default/views/modules/categories.php

make sure my zLikeComment Plugin is enabled

Check out my other Plugins here

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

Aolee probably has the solution but this could give you an idea of a javascript
    you could run it in your console on this page for a test

If you hover over a category name after executing below in your console, it will display a tooltip
    e.g. this is my tooltip for such and such category.

jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
    $('ul.PanelCategories a').each(function(){
    myurl = this;
    mytext = this.text;
    $(this).html('<a' + ' title="' + "this is my tooltip for " + mytext + '"href="' + myurl + '">' + mytext + '</a>');
    });
    });

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.