Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Documentation] Problem importing from vanilla1 to vanilla2. Vanilla Porter.

Rob_CheRob_Che New
edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey!

I've exported my old db and tried to import to a local install of V2 using the porter but I get the following error: Could not parse import file. The problem is near line 1.

THis is what the first lines look like:

`Vanilla Export: 1.5.3, Source: Vanilla 1.*

// Export Started: 2012-04-12 16:39:58
Table: User`

Any ideas where to start de-bugging?

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

I think there are problems sometimes when you don't select the option to save the export file to your server, but rather serve it through your browser and save that document. The browser can sometimes wreck the line endings.

If you don't see the option to save to the server then make sure the porter script is in a folder with write permissions.

Answers

Answer ✓

I think there are problems sometimes when you don't select the option to save the export file to your server, but rather serve it through your browser and save that document. The browser can sometimes wreck the line endings.

If you don't see the option to save to the server then make sure the porter script is in a folder with write permissions.

• Hey Todd, thanks for that I think you're right. It worked once I'd used the .GZ file.

I've made some notes this time - worked a treat, very easy and quick, thanks Todd! :)

Yeah no problem. I think I should make the porter work .gz only. Dealing with the various line endings is a serious pain.

• Sorry Todd, one thing now I have it installed... The comments are showing fine but it's stripping any HTML out? Is this a V2 thing?

EG: A comment in the database has a short comment and then an image - the comment shows but not the image - any ideas?

Seems to be fine in the DB (full external image link, not a local image)

Cheers
    Rob

• If you look in the comments database table, what is the contents of the field 'Format' for some of the comments that has HTML stripped out?

Which Wysiwyg editor are you using on your forum? clEditor?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hey UnderDog, thanks for the reply.

OK, the comment that isn't displaying an image is Text format but when I make a new comment it's Html. I have no wysiwyg editor installed at the moment just a clean V2 install.

Is the answer just to change all the Text formats to Html?

Thanks for the pointers.

• Rob_Che said:
    Is the answer just to change all the Text formats to Html?

Yes, let's try that first:

Update (Table) SET Format = 'Html';

for wysiwyg editor I can recommend the buttonbar plugin. We're using it here on the forum too.

• Rob_CheRob_Che New
    edited April 2012

Hey UnderDog, apologies in the delay coming back.

That worked a treat, it must be the 'Format' my old WYSIWYG was using.

All good now, V2 is SO much better than V1. I've gone for ButtonBar too, looks nice and simple.

Thanks for your help - Rob

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2012

Yep, I installed V1 just for fun today, and because I'm working on a wiki article which handles conversion / migration from Vanilla 1 and MyBB / phpBB to Vanilla 2. I like Vanilla 2 too.

• haha, V1 one looks so cute now. I'm flying with V2 now, so stable. Thanks.