Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Enabling pockets breaks forum

When pockets is enabled, the entire forum breaks and no content will display EXCEPT the left panel and header. The weird thing is that even though I have re-installed a completely fresh version of pockets, vestiges of my old pockets install is showing up below the navigation menu (where a pocket used to be). The ad, which I thought was deleted with my old version of pockets, is still there. Obviously, this is very frustrating because I cant display any ads on my forum if pockets breaks the site and removes the content. Also, I can't control pockets to delete any offending code because nothing in the backend administrator panel will display either when pockets is enabled. Same as on my main forum, only the left panel and header are showing up in the admin area.

Is there some way to remove the vestiges of code that pockets creates before enabling it again? I have a feeling that the reason it is breaking is that it is trying to display pockets twice.

Any help or advice in getting pockets straightened out would be greatly appreciated. This is an essential function to display ads on our forum.

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

Go to B, if it doesn't work go to a then b, repeat a and b till it works.

A) So you deleted pockets completely as specified - correct? or did you just part of it.
    If you followed all 3 steps. reinstall the plugin. enable it. If you didn't, do it.

B) Go to the dashboard and edit your role (administrator) permission in roles/permissions
    specifically for pockets.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Clear your cache. Delete all .ini files in cache folder

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @ 422 Thank you for your reply. I have tried this both before and after reinstalling pockets and it still removes all content from the site and makes my admin panel inaccessible. Do you know of a way to delete these old pocket ads that won't seem to go away before a fresh install?

Thanks again.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I dont, weird huh.

Did you disable BEFORE removing ?

• Yes, the only way I can get the site back up without completely removing the pockets files is by turning off the plugin in my config.php file. Once that is done, I have removed pockets from the plugin area in the dashboard. After that, I try the fresh pockets install and thats when the content disappears and an old ad appears below my nav menu. SOOO weird.

It's pulling the old ad from somewhere but I can't figure out where....

• 422422 Developer MVP

Must be stored in db.. Im not familiar with pockets. Can you inspect element ?

• I can but I need to break the site by re-enabling pockets in order for old ad to appear to inspect it. This is a bit of a problem considering we get about 300 visitors a day. However, it appears to be my only option....

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Clone the configuration to a local host and debug. Dont debug on your live server if you dont have to.

• Will try, any advice to debug this problem?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

Pockets manifests itself in 3 places
    Too remove and start anew. This will purge all the pockets info forever and you won't get it back. Do it in this sequence and then after step 2 and 3 are completed, navigate to your home page from the browser.

Then you can re-install afterwards.

1 goto config.php

remove the 2 if not more config statements relating to pockets.
    `$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Pockets'] = TRUE;`

2.  to get rid of old pocket info.  drop the pocket table in the database.
    `DROP TABLE `GDN_Pocket` `

3.  remove the pockets.manage column at the far right of the permissions table. (optional).
    `ALTER TABLE `GDN_Permission` DROP `Plugins.Pockets.Manage`;`

Just like every plugin that creates its own table in the database, there is no cleanup. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. There should probably be an option for all plugins that create tables, to have a remove option that cleans up after themselves.

The most bizarre thing I've seen is if you remove the anonymouse plugin, you will see a user named anonymous that looks like they are constantly logged in (at first I thought it was a hacker, but it was just a case of not cleaning up).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I concur, purging old data should be an option, when removing a plugin.

• Wow. I am both stunned in amazement that the plugin leaves those traces in the database and by how helpful you have all been. Thank you dearly. I will try this tonight and report back but I have a feeling based on what I have been seeing with my own eyes that you are 100% RIGHT. Thank you.

• Update: I followed the steps above and pockets seems to be enabled and its not bringing down the forum. However, when I click on pockets settings, I get a blue screen that says: Permission Problem, You Do Not Have Permission to do That.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

Go to B, if it doesn't work go to a then b, repeat a and b till it works.

A) So you deleted pockets completely as specified - correct? or did you just part of it.
    If you followed all 3 steps. reinstall the plugin. enable it. If you didn't, do it.

B) Go to the dashboard and edit your role (administrator) permission in roles/permissions
    specifically for pockets.

• Just tried "B" and everything is back to normal. And yes, I followed your three steps exactly in the order you described, I just didn't fix the permissions after reinstalling. THANK YOU! I should have checked those permissions on my own. Thanks again!

• Two thanks and a like and an accept - I can't complain. glad you solved it.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Phew sweet relief lord !

• 422 said:
    Phew sweet relief lord !

Lol, agreed! My traffic is spiking to about 700 uniques a day and without pockets, no ads. Phew sweet relief is right!