Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Calling the photo outside the forum software

PHP/mySQL is a hobby and not a profession. I've written a nice little site for a league I belong to with a custom database and using PHP and queries I can pull stats down and display them. The site has really grown over the years. I've always wanted to add a section for logged in people to upload photos and adjust profile but being conscious of security and of my lack of skill I never created this feature. I recently installed Vanilla forums and it easily fit into my site. I have been able to construct pages that pull up a vanilla user ID and a user ID from my database and display information from both databases. I spent a while on the photo when I realized the IMG src is different than the file name and I’ve discovered this is due to some kind of algorithm that I won’t be able to understand. I would like to be able to hook into this somehow or disable it. In effect, I want to be able to write a select statement against the vanilla database (using a connection file I created) and grab the photo URL – then take that and correctly display the photo. I did a bunch of searches but haven’t found much information. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I played around with the XML and indeed there is a photo URL there but it goes to a very small copy of the photo (thumbnail). If I could get this to show the right photo I might be able to parse the xml and grab that value.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

try this

Describe`GDN_User`

you will see a column called photo that is matched with a userid.

So if the username joe is userid 5

you select on id 2
    SELECT photo
    FROM `GDN_User`
    WHERE `UserID` = "5"

your result will be  a 3 digit directory followed by  about 12 characters then jpg.

userpics/416/5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

parse the file name out 

e.g.
    5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

append an n to the front if you want the thumbnail

n5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

append a p to the front if you want the full size photo
    p5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

view it
    thumbnail
    http://"yourhosthere"/vanilla/uploads/userpics/416/n5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

fullsize
    http://"yourhosthere"/vanilla/uploads/userpics/416/p5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

if if you src it -

1) give it a class and set width and height in css

2) or directly place width and height statement in the src statement (the page w/picture will load faster the second way because the browser will know the widthand height)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

try this

Describe`GDN_User`

you will see a column called photo that is matched with a userid.

So if the username joe is userid 5

you select on id 2
    SELECT photo
    FROM `GDN_User`
    WHERE `UserID` = "5"

your result will be  a 3 digit directory followed by  about 12 characters then jpg.

userpics/416/5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

parse the file name out 

e.g.
    5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

append an n to the front if you want the thumbnail

n5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

append a p to the front if you want the full size photo
    p5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

view it
    thumbnail
    http://"yourhosthere"/vanilla/uploads/userpics/416/n5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

fullsize
    http://"yourhosthere"/vanilla/uploads/userpics/416/p5XO93IOLVSY1.jpg

if if you src it -

1) give it a class and set width and height in css

2) or directly place width and height statement in the src statement (the page w/picture will load faster the second way because the browser will know the widthand height)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Brilliant! Thank you so much. The answer was much easier than I made it out to be!!

• glad you "liked" it.

• The system is already in place! I've been wanting to do this for years and finally have it! Thank you!

• http://www.northjerseypoker.com/v2/player-details.php?ppid=1

The photo is from Vanilla, everything else is from my db

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Awesome stuff.

This user image trick actually causes a tonne of pain with imports and whatnot. So much so that we will most likely be changing things up and adding an Avatar column in our next release.