Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Locales not working

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am using Version 2.0.18.4, I did everything in order to enable my custom translation. I've a create a new folder under /locales/el-GR/ with my languages, uploaded the baseline files, enabled el-GR under dashboard but I can't see the changes. It's always English.

Any ideas?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• did you erase the .ini files in your cache?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• If you mean clear cache in browser yes I did that.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

Not your browser, on the server.

e.g.
    /vanilla/cache/locale_map.ini

you should try deleting all the .ini files

did you read this
    http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Internationalization_&_Localization

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ...nope, sorry I am new here...ok let me check. Thanks for the quick reply.

• Tried that, didn't work out. I am placing admin.php, vanilla.php files under /locales/ folder. I've changed a couple of definitions inside admin.php, uploaded the files and deleted all /cache/*.ini files but nothing, no change. The only thing that's changing is the Month name. I can see that in Greek.

• Ok figured it out...I hope it's correct. Place admin.php file under /applications/dashboard/locale/el-GR/admin.php and add the following line

_1 = "/var/www/cytaforum/applications/dashboard/locale/el-GR/admin.php" _

in locale_map.ini

It seems to be working, let me test.

• locale_map.ini is a transitory file, editing it does not solve the ultimate problem and you shouldn't edit them, you should delete ini files - they are caches.

You may have solved the problem with the admin.php in /applications/dashboard/locale/el-GR/admin.php

but you certainly didn't fix anything permanently by modifying the ini, since it will get recreated when the cache is rewritten.

Your'e welcome in advance :). Y'aWIA

• Yeah I know you are right...I am trying to figure it out. If I figure this out I will give y an update. Thanks

• Post the contents of your locale_map.ini if you want. I believe the last line is the last one that is acted upon.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

@argyris

I think I noticed your problem - you put your locale info under the dashboard (wrong location)

which begs the question - did you re-read this http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Internationalization_&_Localization

it should go under
    vanilla/locales/el-GR/

all your new definitions in this file
    vanilla/locales/el-GR/definitions.php

after you make all these changes and verifications - delete the mlocale.ini and it should work properly.

your vanilla/conf/config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['Locale'] = 'el-GR';

your dashboard should have the default locale as 
    el-GR
    the el-GR should also be enabled.

in vanilla/locales/el-GR/definitions.php - where all your definitions are should have these lines changed

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

$LocaleInfo['el-GR'] = array( // make sure the key of this array is the same as its folder name.
            'Locale' => 'el-GR',
            'Name' => 'el-GR locale',
            'Description' => 'el-GR - my language',
            'Version' => '1.0',
            'Author' => "Zorba",
            'AuthorEmail' => 'none',
            'AuthorUrl' => 'none',
            'License' => ''
            );

if (!function_exists('FormatPossessive')) {
           function FormatPossessive($Word) {
              return substr($Word, -1) == 's' ? $Word."'" : $Word."'s";
           }
        }

if (!function_exists('Plural')) {
           function Plural($Number, $Singular, $Plural) {
                // Make sure to fix comma-formatted numbers
              $WorkingNumber = str_replace(',', '', $Number);
              return sprintf(T($WorkingNumber == 1 ? $Singular : $Plural), $Number);
           }
        }

$Definition['Locale'] = 'el-GR';
        $Definition['_Locale'] = 'Locale';

// see bottom of file for el-GR definitions