Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Documentation] :: Roles and Moderators

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello guys,

I want to Moderators edit the different roles from members.

But if I give "manage roles" to moderators, they can change himself for administrator. This happens even when I give "edit members" permission to the moderator member.

What can I do to fix it?

Tagged:

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Do you know the usergroup ids of each roll?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Sorry, I did not understand how to solve this. I have not found anything about usergroup.

• @deki can you look into your phpMyAdmin and look in the table that represents the Roles (and maybe User Groups if you have that table). Then look for the Role you want to give permissions to and look for the first column in that table (Primary Key) and write down those numbers).
    Show those numbers here in this topic...

• edited May 2012

Ow thanks UnderDog

The role ids:

2 - Guest

3 - Confirm Email

4 - Applicant

8 - Member

16 - Administrator

32 - Moderator

• I think this question is confused. Moderator moderate discussion and Administrator moderate users.

http://vanillaforums.org/profile/36251/peregrine

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited May 2012

Yes it is confusing, I completely agree... However... and this is something for the documentation too... Sometimes you want your Moderators to be able to administrate (moderate) users.

Let's say there are spammers on your forum. You will want your Community MVPs to be able to mark those posts as Spam and notify anyone who can delete those users.

The moderators will be those type of users that can delete Spammers, Edit Discussions, Edit comments, etc.
    In that special case I can understand what deki wants to achieve...

• I don't think the question is confused at all.

if you give Garden.Roles.Manage then obviously by virtue of being able to assign role, you can assign yourself a role.

This is not goign to be solved without a plugin becuase it is non standard behaviour.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

That's my point. The questioner is confused as to roles and the discussion is confused.

Moderators moderate discussions and Administrators manage users.

if you want moderators to administrate then then they administrate which means the can change user roles, even administrators roles. you have to trust the people who you give administrative roles to.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited May 2012

peregrine said:
    That's my point. The questioner is confused as to roles and the discussion is confused.

Moderators moderate discussions and Administrators manage users.

if you want moderators to administrate then then they administrate which means the can change user roles, even administrators roles. you have to trust the people who you give administrative roles to.

Yes, I got it. I was think that, if our adminstrators was trusted people, we will have no problem.