Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Documentation] I can only edit custom.css ONCE? surely not...

The default color on the vanilla header background is 3B5998

First I changed it in custom.css to 002343. That worked, as you can see here

I recently changed it again to 2C4F6D. That didn't work; it stayed 002343.

What do I need to do to "refresh" the "overriding" of styles.css with custom.css? It worked once but doesn't seem to work for me any more. Is there somethign obvious I'm missing?

(I went and double checked that indeed my custom.css edit had saved at 2C4F6D just to make sure it wan't a cpanel thing.)

(also, vanillaskins.com looks great! way to go @422! I have some questions about it ...)

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

looks like minify cache is causing you problems. clear it.

minify...733.css (line 699
    http://connectedfamilies.org/forums/cache/Minify/minify_11dbfbc19f048f54e7f1dcd906011733.css

also your wordpress problem re: discussions-2, discussions-3 are because discussions already exists as a directory and can't be used. discussions-3 occurs when discussions-2 is already in use by a previous entity.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• That's one for the documentation. Daniel, can you add it to the VanillaWiki please once you've figured out the solution? :-)
    Check with FireBug what the color of your background is,
    maybe tools like Minify, PageSpeed, etc,etc are interfering.
    Cleared cache?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

looks like minify cache is causing you problems. clear it.

minify...733.css (line 699
    http://connectedfamilies.org/forums/cache/Minify/minify_11dbfbc19f048f54e7f1dcd906011733.css

also your wordpress problem re: discussions-2, discussions-3 are because discussions already exists as a directory and can't be used. discussions-3 occurs when discussions-2 is already in use by a previous entity.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited May 2012

Ooh. Good call (re: minify). Thanks @peregrine. I'm sure that's it. @UnderDog, I'll go ahead and add it to the wiki.

• edited May 2012

@peregrine, I would agree with you here if I had other entities installed, but this happened to me even on a fresh WP install with no other plugins. And my first WP install where I put the plugin wasn't fresh, but it didn't have any other instances of "discussions" pages. So far I've installed the plugin on 3 different installs, 2 of which were fresh, and got multiple discussions pages each time.

It seems as if the plugin did its page creation function ("discussions") but then didn't recognize that it had done so, and therefore did it again ("discussions-2")... and in one instance, even again (discussions-3) before realizing it had created a valid page.

• @UnderDog, Okay, it seems I don't have permission to edit the wiki; not sure what I would need to do to do that, but here's the page I think it would be good to add a nice bolded note about Minify on:

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/themequickstart

(here's another forum that I found searching "minify" that seemed to have my same issue.)

(also, here's a page that for me has a broken image on it that you might update)

• @peregrine, I would agree with you here if I had other entities installed, but this happened to me even on a fresh WP install with no other plugins. And my first WP install where I put the plugin wasn't fresh, but it didn't have any other instances of "discussions" pages. So far I've installed the plugin on 3 different installs, 2 of which were fresh, and got multiple discussions pages each time.

discussions by default is already used by the forum itself. when you link to it without going through wordpress, so it will always start with discussions-2 (at least that is what I have been able to surmise - I could be wrong).

• edited May 2012

Hmm. My Vanilla is on an entirely other domain, and isn't under http://domain.com/discussions, so I wouldn't anticipate a path conflict like what you're describing. But either way, eh. it's not a huge deal. There's probably a cleaner way to do do setup the plugin's page selection/creation, but it's not a huge deal.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

Either the WP embed install or the instructions could be cleaner somehow (I don't know how), but people sure have problems with it.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

DanielSchulzJackson said:
    @UnderDog, Okay, it seems I don't have permission to edit the wiki; not sure what I would need to do to do that, but here's the page I think it would be good to add a nice bolded note about Minify on:

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/themequickstart

(here's another forum that I found searching "minify" that seemed to have my same issue.)

(also, here's a page that for me has a broken image on it that you might update)

@DanielSchulzJackson

the wiki is http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net

you should be able to create an account quickly and add the content.