Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Image question for Qwenty

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Thanks understand the transform now. @qwenty. sorry to hijack your discussion. One more question - what and how did you do in Gimp to produce the blue rings around the username box and the about box in the image at the top of the discussion. I know you must know an easy way.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20103/swapping-about-columns-of-profile-in-a-theme-how#Item_8

I've always found gimp exceedingly difficult to use.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Best Answer

• Options
    qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

peregrine said:
    you did the image with gimp? if not what package did you use?

Oops! you're asking for that colorful lines?

Ok, they're drawn by "KolourPaint", which is a weak pkg! equivalent with "Paint" in Windows XP. I use it for fast work! But you can use "Pinta", too.

peregrine said:
    what and how did you do in Gimp to produce the blue rings around the username box and the about box in the image at the top of the discussion. I know you must know an easy way.

I'm a general Gimp user as much as I'm a normal computer user! Sometimes, I use stupidly ways!

However, I took gimp at that picture for changing its perspective. For rings -> kolourpaint: I drew an ellipse around the box and cleaned un-useful lines! But I'm sure a professional user of gimp can do it so easy.

Use photoshop ...

PhotoShop for a home-work? It's really expensive and worse: its source isn't free. you don't have any control on it.

Answers

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Use photoshop its a doddle.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

thx 422. but was just curious the step qwenty used to draw it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

peregrine said:
    you did the image with gimp? if not what package did you use?

Oops! you're asking for that colorful lines?

Ok, they're drawn by "KolourPaint", which is a weak pkg! equivalent with "Paint" in Windows XP. I use it for fast work! But you can use "Pinta", too.

peregrine said:
    what and how did you do in Gimp to produce the blue rings around the username box and the about box in the image at the top of the discussion. I know you must know an easy way.

I'm a general Gimp user as much as I'm a normal computer user! Sometimes, I use stupidly ways!

However, I took gimp at that picture for changing its perspective. For rings -> kolourpaint: I drew an ellipse around the box and cleaned un-useful lines! But I'm sure a professional user of gimp can do it so easy.

Use photoshop ...

PhotoShop for a home-work? It's really expensive and worse: its source isn't free. you don't have any control on it.

• Options

thx. @qwenty Your graphics work intrigued me. Yesterday, I installed pinta, gnu paint, kolourpaint, and nathive image editor. Played around with Gimp some more, some day I will master it.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Lol at qwenty not everything in life is free.

When you get something for free you get what you pay for

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

peregrine said:
    thx. @qwenty Your graphics work intrigued me. Yesterday, I installed pinta, gnu paint, kolourpaint, and nathive image editor. Played around with Gimp some more, some day I will master it.

i never found GIMP to be all that intuitive... decent array of functions but not particularly efficient from a tool perspective. I tend to agree with 422, if im doing somewhat complicated raster editing im reaching for Photoshop -you can get elements for next to nothing if you don't want to spring for the big box.

Even with photoshop on my box, i;ll still reach for ms paint if all im doing is a quick doodle.. you can add all of the graphic elements in that other picture with only a minimal knowledge of ms paint.. use transparent paste mode.

but the truth in advertising is this: Microsoft PowerPoint will do the best/ fastest doodle job to can image. and i your a student you can get it for next to nothing. Check out the 2010 version.

here is an example of a doodle done in powerpoint that took roughly 2 minutes.

• Options
    qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012

422 said:

When you get something for free you get what you pay for

NOT right in all cases! Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch,... are gratis and ~free(free as freedom) OSes, but they're really safer and more flexible than non-free Mac or Microkill Windows which you should pay $$$$s for them each year! Why should I pay for exclusive windows which force me to buy an antivirus, too!? and worse, they're developing monopoly! When I use gnu, I'm supporting developers of gnu projects, but when I use windows, I'm supporting proprietors of Microkill (->microsift) Inc! NOT developers of windows. banning you from knowledge is a rascal act, which windows, adobe, apple (etc) like that!

Why should I pay for damn close source photoshop, when there is a gratis powerful equivalent for it (gimp)? new gimp (2.8 version) is equipped with a wealth of new features. why should I sell my liberty to buy the photoshop?

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

qwenty said:
    why should I sell my liberty to buy the photoshop?

ease of use i suppose...

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    edited May 2012

pmsl.

I see a challenge afoot. So essentially, the only GOOD stuff is free ?

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

i think i'll go to sleep now. i don't want to miss anything exciting.

• Options

I appreciate all the responses. My question got answered. I was just curious if anybody used gimp (that although with many features, seemed exceedingly laborious to do anything) and qwenty has shown that gimp works for her with a little help from some other software. Likewise the merits and ease of photoshop has also been shown. Since I do most of my things on linux based machine, I was looking for a linux solution and I've realized that part of my problem was learning to use gimp effectively. But with the addition of a few other linux based packages, I think I got it.

Didn't intend to start a "tempest in a teapot".

• Options

hbf said:

ease of use i suppose...

ease of use against of freedom! odd idea?! Ok, It's your lifestyle;

Would you like to live in a prison, a special one, completely comfortable?

422 said:
    the only GOOD stuff is free? What a crock of shit

I'm speaking about free as freedom NOT gratis; but why not a gratis one when it can be compatible to expensive ones?

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Gimp comes nowhere near to photoshop, its a ridiculous comparison.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited May 2012

qwenty said:

hbf said:

ease of use i suppose...

ease of use against of freedom! odd idea?! Ok, It's your lifestyle;

Would you like to live in a prison, a special one, completely comfortable?

422 said:
    the only GOOD stuff is free? What a crock of shit

I'm speaking about free as freedom NOT gratis; but why not a gratis one when it can be compatible to expensive ones?

how comfortable is said prison? are the meals good? do i get free internet?

try buying a house 2 years before the market crashes, you'll know what a comfortable prison really is.

I say this in jest... as i should have gone to sleep when i said i would. But really.. gimp vs photoshop.... that's like comparing a tonka toy with the latest version of the grave digger. of course the grave digger costs a lot more, but can your tonka toy actually crush cars?

• Options
    qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012

peregrine said:

>

I've always found gimp exceedingly difficult to use.

>

I installed pinta, gnu paint, kolourpaint, and nathive image editor.

@peregrine, Check this script: http://registry.gimp.org/node/59 (January 3, 2008)

and there is probably better & newer scripts!

• Options

thanks for the follow-up, will check out.