HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Pure Genius !

422422 Developer MVP
edited April 2012 in General Banter

http://tjrus.com/iphone

Only one image used, and thats for the page Background !

Utterly mind boggling.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭
    edited April 2012

wow! yup, could be mind boggling :-D

• great! :D

• nice :)

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012

@UnderDog

To the untrained eye the above is not spam, but what is doing is bumping the link. The two posters have few posts, and post simply to big up links, and contribute nothing to the forum.

Check out there comment, non-descriptive, bot like.

Another possible reason if it not affiliate directly with that site, but is as a payload to botnet malware, and viral software. The reason is if you create a recognisable footprint, you can then go back and search for it. That gives you an overall idea of the effectiveness of your system in the wild. Mostly likely this for spam research, but any kind of mal purpose.

simple solution is to edit the original post remove the actual link, and remove the offending posts. But leave just enough info for people to find the example.

Personally I would just lock the thread after removing the posts. Off Topic doesn't even need guest access.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012

Btw I'm not implying the 422 or fh111 are spammers, they posted innocently, just so happens that these type of post attract spam.

The key clue is at the time they were posted this thread was not at the top of the pile, it would have had to been searched for. look at the dates.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Isnt that how most "uniques" work?

Neither of the repliers have posted links, so not sure what their gain is.

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

i would have never thought that way but i now totally see what @x00 means

and i agree, it looks quite non-human. let's see when this link get's the next bump

(i know i'm pushing it to the top again with my post, but at least it's already up in the list)

• WOW! Thats the real CSS power. :O

• 422422 Developer MVP

@sevmc just before i posted this, i went into a meeting. Approx, 20 developers there. I asked them all to guess how many images were used in that.

Lowest guess was 12.

3 of the devs are css guys, far far superior to me, they were astonished.

• Genius, we should use that as an example in order to make sites faster, less images + css

• Some people are not that smart, also there is a whole other world outside of search indexing, many site are blacklisted, but get sales from comment spamming.

In this case is is I bet it is a case of testing. If can be as simple as testing what they can get away with. Also if you create a cross refrence with phrases that can be used for crude analytics.

grep is your friend.