HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[gitHub #1364] Allow users to delete their own posts

HotBlackHotBlack New
edited May 2012 in Feedback

I am quite new to vanilla forums, and have been overall quite impressed by vanilla as a modern forum system. I do however have a problem, is it possible to have an option to let users delete their own posts (in addition to being able to let them edit their own posts). When users (not admins) delete posts it would be nice that it was replaced with a placeholder pointing out a user has deleted their post.

Note: I am running 2.0.18.4, not the 2.1 development branch so some of these may be fixed already.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

It's a valuable addition to Vanilla, I would enter a feature request on gitHub.

Can you post the bug number after you've posted the feature request?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

HotBlack said:
    I am quite new to vanilla forums, and have been overall quite impressed by vanilla as a modern forum system. I do however have a problem, is it possible to have an option to let users delete their own posts (in addition to being able to let them edit their own posts). When users (not admins) delete posts it would be nice that it was replaced with a placeholder pointing out a user has deleted their post.

Note: I am running 2.0.18.4, not the 2.1 development branch so some of these may be fixed already.

They can do this simply by editing thier post and replacing the contents with something innocuous like a period.

• HotBlack said:

When users (not admins) delete posts it would be nice that it was replaced with a placeholder pointing out a user has deleted their post.

There is a somewhat of a implicit placeholder in the edit log, in dashboard if you have give permissions to view it as admin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Well I guess an ideal solution would be to have the post be marked as deleted but have users with the right permission be able to see (in maybe a popup) the original post. Same for edits of posts?
    Can I make a feature request? Or does this fall into plugin territory?

• Users can delete their own posts, you set the permission per role. It is not however replaced with [Deleted] it is simple removed.

grep is your friend.

• x00 said:
    Users can delete their own posts, you set the permission per role. It is not however replaced with [Deleted] it is simple removed.

I haven't looked at 2.1 yet, but since revisions will be implemented there, the posts will probably be marked as 'deleted'. Not 100% sure though.

• Is that under 'Default Category Permissions'? does that not allow them do delete any posts?

• Whats "that"?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• you can edit what users can do to posts under roles and permsissions, same with viewing logs for admins.

• Yes but when I allow a role to delete posts, then they gain the permission to delete all posts in that category, even ones that are not their own? Or am I wrong?

• that is correct

grep is your friend.

• I tried to post "yes you are right" and it was flagged for moderation. False positive lol.

grep is your friend.

• Ok, what I was wanting to do was only allow users to delete their own posts, and it seems that doing that is not possible. All that can be done is to let them edit posts their own posts, which they can then change to [Deleted].

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

It's a valuable addition to Vanilla, I would enter a feature request on gitHub.

Can you post the bug number after you've posted the feature request?

• Done: https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1364

Let me know if I got it right, I have never submitted a issue before and am not quite sure what is wanted in this project.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited May 2012

good job! For now, assume we're quite easy with how the bug reports (feature requests) are created.
    We're more easy with how the Wiki pages are created and edited! ;-)

• yes you are right.

grep is your friend.

• mattmatt ✭✭

This is a really important addition.

• If I have more time I'll submit a pull request to the Vanilla Forum GitHub repository but...
    If you just want a user to be able to delete a discussion they've created (not the comments themselves):

views/discussion/helper_functions.php  -- find 'Vanilla.Discussions.Delete' and add $Discussion->InsertUserID == $Session->UserID
    views/discussions/helper_functions.php -- find 'Vanilla.Discussions.Delete' and add $Discussion->FirstUserID == $Session->UserID
    ./applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussioncontroller.php -- find 'Vanilla.Discussions.Delete' and add $Discussion->InsertUserID == $Session->UserID
    ./applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussioncontroller.php -- find 'Vanilla.Discussions.Delete' and add $Discussion->InsertUserID == $Session->UserID

The first two modifications add the Delete button on the Discussion and Category/Discussions pages and the second two modifications actually allows the user to delete their own discussion.

If there's strong interest I'll put this into a pull request and send it and make this functionality configurable by conf/config.php, setting it to FALSE by default so it's backwards compatible with what people expect.

• Does this allow users to always delete discussions they started? Or only before anybody else has commented?

I think that second part is very important, otherwise you're giving one person an immense amount of power to delete a whole load of other people's content just because it happens to be in a discussion they created.

• Is there a solution yet?