Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Feedback

SevMCSevMC
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Any Feedback?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

I think you have to change all the references to starting with line 64

src="/themes/Noise/design/images/...."

to
    src="themes/Noise/design/images/..."

it can't find the pngs otherwise for the css switcher.

in default.master.php

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

nice theme. I'll learn something I'm sure by looking at its design

I think you may have to change all the references to starting with line 64
    and also line 40 for the signout.

to

in default.master.php

I'd also consider adding around line 531

#Head form input#Form_Search {
                  background:white;
                  color: black;
                  }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓
    other/css/green.css:   background: url(http://makeitsound.org/themes/mis/design/images/bkg-green.png) fixed!important;
    other/css/pink.css:   background: url(http://makeitsound.org/themes/mis/design/images/bkg-pink.png) fixed !important;
    other/css/red.css:   background: url(http://makeitsound.org/themes/mis/design/images/bkg-red.png) fixed !important;
    other/css/blue.css:   background: url(http://makeitsound.org/themes/mis/design/images/bkg-blue.png) fixed !important;

at least these there might be more.

thats why I suggested you look via grep -ri png *

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

I would strongly recommend NOT doing absolute URL's for your png images.

Its really a bad move. For masses of reasons.

Better is to add a 1px x 1px transparent png, into the theme template and use absolute url for that.

If you change your theme, or your server is down.. lots of peoples themes will eff up.
    Plus the amount of bandwidth and pings to your server will be ridiculous.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

an example.

background: url(../../design/images/bkg-blue.png)

then doublecheck all of your css files for references to your site to make sure you changed them all.

the theme also would be faster if you lose the
    @import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Lato:400,400italic,700,700italic);
    in custom.css.

delete all the references to Lato

and add the line to the body
    font-family:Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;

you also have two body statements for some reason.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓
    If you want the activities page to change colors for the comment link
    you need to change this to your 5 color css files.

.MessageList .Meta a {

to this
    .Activities .Meta a ,.MessageList .Meta a {

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

I still think you need a change log for version changes. A user may not want to keep on re-installing each version - minute by minute for a padding change or a border color change. But they may want to if there is a serious bug. But it will certainly keep the theme at the top of the addons page and get more downloads :).

At some point, you will drive the users crazy with the minute by minute update. You might consider block changes on a less frequent interval unless you truly see the need. Just my thoughts.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited May 2012

Excellent. I was working on css switcher too. Nice design. With @peregrines help, i cant get it workin so will check your code out :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

I think you have to change all the references to starting with line 64

to

in default.master.php

• Thanks, I will :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

nice theme. I'll learn something I'm sure by looking at its design

I think you may have to change all the references to starting with line 64
    and also line 40 for the signout.

to

in default.master.php

I'd also consider adding around line 531

#Head form input#Form_Search {
                  background:white;
                  color: black;
                  }

• Done, I changed the references and modified the search box.

• @SevMC

I just noticed the pngs for theme switching do not show up at the bottom of the buttonbox for adding a comment, probably have to parse the url or scriptname and append the theme path or use document root and append the theme path in default.master.php - something like that. or it could be I'm seeing problems running on localhost.

Nice theme though.

• peregrine said:
    @SevMC

I just noticed the pngs for theme switching do not show up at the bottom of the buttonbox for adding a comment, probably have to parse the url or scriptname and append the theme path or use document root and append the theme path in default.master.php - something like that. or it could be I'm seeing problems running on localhost.

Nice theme though.

Yes, I think I will need to call the url in order to avoid reference problems.

• Fixed :)

• GumCloudGumCloud New
    edited May 2012

Hi, I like it very much, but how come its like this on my site? [Link deleted by UnderDog]

As you can see, I'm not using the voting plugin, and the discussions list are nudged to the left and has a space on the right.

Its a very beautiful theme btw :)

• SevMCSevMC
    edited May 2012

Well, you can change the background images to something more related ;)

You can find them here: YOURSITE/themes/Noise/design/images/(bkg.png, bkg-blue.png, bkg-green.png, etc...).

• I don't know if it was unintentional but you have some of the pngs pointing back to collect info of of your site. You could monitor who is using your theme that way :).

grep -ri png *

• haha not really :D, what pngs?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓
    other/css/green.css:   background: url(http://makeitsound.org/themes/mis/design/images/bkg-green.png) fixed!important;
    other/css/pink.css:   background: url(http://makeitsound.org/themes/mis/design/images/bkg-pink.png) fixed !important;
    other/css/red.css:   background: url(http://makeitsound.org/themes/mis/design/images/bkg-red.png) fixed !important;
    other/css/blue.css:   background: url(http://makeitsound.org/themes/mis/design/images/bkg-blue.png) fixed !important;

at least these there might be more.

thats why I suggested you look via grep -ri png *

• Thanks :), it will help me see sites that are using the theme easily.

• New version! :D

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

I would strongly recommend NOT doing absolute URL's for your png images.

Its really a bad move. For masses of reasons.

Better is to add a 1px x 1px transparent png, into the theme template and use absolute url for that.

If you change your theme, or your server is down.. lots of peoples themes will eff up.
    Plus the amount of bandwidth and pings to your server will be ridiculous.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

I'm started to wonder what your plan is:

you say
    haha not really :D, what pngs?

than you say
    New version! :D

without the changes - and it still goes back to your site.

I would never use a theme that calls back to the mothership for no reason other than to be tracked, but I don't have a forum so it doesn't matter to me. But for unsuspecting users of your theme it isn't a good idea for the reasons 422 mentions.

generally you might consider a changelog of what is different in each version.

well, I've tested enough here.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Your a star in my eyes @peregrine :)

• Hahah, don't worry I will fix the URL's as @442 suggest and untrack the pngs, the 1.0.5 version is the same as 1.0.4 but adding some images and modifying the credits.

• SevMCSevMC
    edited May 2012

peregrine said:
    I'm started to wonder what your plan is:

How can I untrack them by the way?