Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Customising default vanilla template

JackJJWJackJJW New
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello!
I know there are a lot of topics about this but I can't find one that clearly explains for a beginner. I've tried editing some colours in the style.css, yet the only thing that's changed is the header on a thread page. I set up a custom.css file too and that's had no effect. I've been hard refreshing.

I love the default theme, I just want to change the core colours to match my site.

Sorry that this is going over old ground, I have searched and read a number of threads now.

Thanks,
Jack

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks - even when I use this the styles don't seem to make a difference. Clearly I'm doing something wrong, heading to bed now but will pick it up tomorrow morning. Thank you for your help, it's all really clear in your thread.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited May 2012

In themes folder, create new theme called jack.

Copy contents of default theme folder into this new folder.

Everything we do now is within jack folder.

In design folder create a file called custom.css

Edit the about.php file in the jack folder to reflect its called jack...its self explanatory.

Dashboard, select new theme jack.

Back in design folder , edit custom.css file.

First line, cos page is empty. Put.

background: #ff0000 !important;

Save...

Refresh forum... Your on your way.

• 422422 Developer MVP

To be honest i am hoping vanilla bundle a theme folder called custom, in new builds so we can save explaining this every time.

Would make sense.

• 422 said:
    To be honest i am hoping vanilla bundle a theme folder called custom, in new builds so we can save explaining this every time.

Would make sense.

Ah, OK - now it all clicks into place. Thank you. I feel stupid now not getting it the first time and wasting your time. I hope vanilla do too for your sake. Really appreciate the help though :)

• 422422 Developer MVP

I feel stupid all the time, join the club :)

• JackJJW said:
    Ah, OK - now it all clicks into place.

Jack, we would appreciate it, if you could write a Wiki page on the VanillaWiki site, please :-)

Just write what you found out, 422's steps, etc, etc.

• Update: I've discovered the exact cause of the problem I was having (certain pages updating to me css changes and others not). It was having Minify switched on. It meant none of my changes were going through. I switched this plugin off and everything is working perfectly.

Undergdog - yes, once I have my page how I want I will write a Wiki page with all of the things I learnt along the way.