Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Import bonk on vanilla 2.0.18.3

edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hai,

First of all thanking vanilla forum makers for this wonderful open source forum.

Recently i had downloaded you new version(ie 2.0.18.3) of vanilla forum and installed it on server(not in local machine). On the first login i clicked the import icon and it end-up with the bonk message.I want to know why this happened ? can anyone please help me.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

In your Vanilla/conf folder find config.php and add this line:

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

This will give you a detailed error, rather than the bonk page.

Either post the error result here, or post a new question if you can't see how to fix it.

Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

In your Vanilla/conf folder find config.php and add this line:

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

This will give you a detailed error, rather than the bonk page.

Either post the error result here, or post a new question if you can't see how to fix it.

• Thanks for the replay whu606

I had added the line on conf/config.php. But at the time of execution apache reedit the file and remove the line on config.php.And end up with the bonk page again

• Try the line that whu606 said again. Without that line being in conf/config.php you don't get details and we won't be able to help you.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I'm migrating from Vanilla 1.x. I write the right email/password, but I always got "bonk". I'm working on localhost.
    And regarding to the line for the debug, this line is already wrote inside config.php, but nothing is showed when the bonk happens.

Thank you for your help.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

but did you add this line also?

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';

and did you read this:
    What to do if I get a Bonk Error? in underdog's signature.

or did you read this:

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/errors

or did you search the last 5 or six messages that explained bonk errors? :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I gonna try with that line... The link to the forums doesn't work (I checked it before to write the post).

• Ok, I got the error:

`Fatal Error in Gdn_Upload.SaveAs();
    Failed to move uploaded file to target destination (D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012/uploads/D:/xampp/htdocs/vf2012/uploads/import/VSCXOGUEOGNF.txt).
    The error occurred on or near: D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\library\core\class.upload.php

212: if (!file_exists(dirname($Target)))

213: mkdir(dirname($Target));

214:

215: if (!move_uploaded_file($Source, $Target))

216: throw new Exception(sprintf(T('Failed to move uploaded file to target destination (%s).'), $Target));

217: }

218: return $Parsed;

219: }

220:

Backtrace:

[D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\applications\dashboard\controllers\class.importcontroller.php:167] Gdn_Upload->SaveAs();

[D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\applications\dashboard\controllers\class.importcontroller.php:167] ImportController->Index();

[D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\library\core\class.dispatcher.php:322] PHP::call_user_func_array();

[D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\index.php:53] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();

`

How could I fix it?

thank you!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

perhaps

D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012/uploads/

D:/xampp/htdocs/vf2012/uploads/import/

does directory exist? line 213 shows that it tried.

if not create one and give it appropriate write permissions.

also curious is the forward slash - backslash deal - I guess thats a windows - unix thing

actually I'm not sure

does this exist VSCXOGUEOGNF.txt

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I think you can work around this issue. You should place the file you want to import in that uploads directory. D:/xampp/htdocs/vf2012/uploads/import/

See if you use 2.0.18.4 if that will solve the problem.

As peregrine says : it's a Windows / Unix issue and should either be solved easily or can be worked around for now...

• Hello,

the folder "import" is already created (by vanilla itself). I checked its security permissions, and I found that it hasn't permissions for "creator owner" and for my own windows users.
    I was able to give it permissions for my windows user, but not for "creator owner".
    I also put the file to import inside the folder "import", but I'm still getting this error:

Failed to move uploaded file to target destination (D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012/uploads/D:/xampp/htdocs/vf2012/uploads/import/JM2YOC02U2N1.txt).
    The error occurred on or near: D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\library\core\class.upload.php

214:

216: throw new Exception(sprintf(T('Failed to move uploaded file to target destination (%s).'), $Target));

220:

Backtrace:

[D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\applications\dashboard\controllers\class.importcontroller.php:167] Gdn_Upload->SaveAs();

[D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\applications\dashboard\controllers\class.importcontroller.php:167] ImportController->Index();

[D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\library\core\class.dispatcher.php:322] PHP::call_user_func_array();

`

Thank you.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

argie01 said:
    Hello,

the folder "import" is already created (by vanilla itself). I checked its security permissions, and I found that it hasn't permissions for "creator owner" and for my own windows users.
    I was able to give it permissions for my windows user, but not for "creator owner".
    I also put the file to import inside the folder "import", but I'm still getting this error:

Failed to move uploaded file to target destination (D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012/uploads/D:/xampp/htdocs/vf2012/uploads/import/JM2YOC02U2N1.txt).

214:

220:

Backtrace:

`

Thank you.

temporarily give full permissions to Everyone and try again.

• I did it and I got the same error.

• since you have created the directory manually and manually moved the file

try commenting out line 216 in
    D:\xampp\htdocs\vf2012\library\core\class.upload.php

• and the point of of posting this was what?

• Peregrine: that is the error returned.

• Hi,

I did this migration on the linux server where I have my current forum, and it worked like a charm.
    So, definitely this is a problem with back/forward slash, as you say.

Now I have a question: is there some information that is not migrated? i.e., can I asume that the user's role and password where migrated correctly when I used the import option on dashboard?

Thank you.

• Well, I discovered an error on the migration: all the links on discussions has disappeared. I.e. the text of the link remains, but not like a link.
    Is there a way to fix this problem?

• Lol, In my mind I see a little dog running around its axel trying to catch its tail...

@argie01 you are on your Windows computer. There is a problem with moving a file from one location to another location. That's what the error message says. The problem has something to do with this slash : / and this backslash : \ . Now read my advice from a couple of posts above. For your convenience I will quote my entire advice :

UnderDog said:
    I think you can work around this issue. You should place the file you want to import in that uploads directory. D:/xampp/htdocs/vf2012/uploads/import/

See if you use 2.0.18.4 if that will solve the problem.

As peregrine says : it's a Windows / Unix issue and should either be solved easily or can be worked around for now...

Trying to do the same thing over and over again will not work. Try other things, like installing Vanilla 2.0.18.4 and trying to import. Placing the text file in /uploads/import or in /uploads, everywhere, just until you get to the next error message.

You created your import file on your Windows computer too, as I will assume, so if you're done with this error message, waggle your tail (little doggy comparison) and I'll tell you what to do with the next error message.

• argie01argie01 New
    edited June 2012

UnderDog, as I wrote on my last post, I did the migration on my current linux hosting, and the migration was fine, except by a detail: the links on discussions has changed to plain text.
    But the curious thing is when I check the code on those articles with links, the html code still has the links: but they are showed to users as plain text...