HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sites using this theme

SevMCSevMC
edited June 2012 in General Banter

Are you using Noise theme?
Share the result with us!

Tagged:

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

Since you asked. I like themes with a different licensing agreement as far as credits not being required to be displayed. So no.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ok

• SevMCSevMC
    edited June 2012

If I remove the credits requirement will you use the theme?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

Personally, I like the theme. I don't like the idea of having to use credits, and that would be a show-stopper for me (and may be for others, some people don't care either way). I don't have a forum per se. But i would be more keen to recommend it if there was no requirement and others may be more inclined to use it, since it seems to be the only plugin or theme on the add-ons in this forum that requires it, and perhaps the only one with the creative license rather than no license or the standard gpl.

edit: I just noticed a bunch of creative commons licenses on the localizations. I don't know if it is because everybody is using one localization that had it (and cloned it as a model) or because they intentionally meant to.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I will think about not require the credits, first I will wait to see how the other users react.

This is not the only theme that require it, the "GO" and "Fruit" themes also.

P.S. I removed the C.C. license requirement in the 1.1.9.2 version.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

• 422422 Developer MVP

Personally, it doesnt bother me. Everyone removes our credit anyway. I dont think i have stated it must stay, i may have done in the early days.

Because vanilla doesnt approve anything other than their own stuff, i stopped making free themes.

Our premium stuff, credits can be removed without asking.

We put credits on free stuff, more for vanity than as a pre-req. I dont run forums like some, in fact i use a cpl of different forum systems one being vanilla.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Just checked, nope we don't state credits must remain. On our free stuff.

Personally, i think vanilla should support authors more. By approving stuff and promoting it more.

• 422 said:
    Just checked, nope we don't state credits must remain. On our free stuff.

Personally, i think vanilla should support authors more. By approving stuff and promoting it more.

Oh, sorry I thought it was necessary :/

Well, I think I'm the only one then.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I think vanilla should approve stuff. I also think, dev approvals should have a statutory link to the dev of that item.

If vanilla did this i would offer a cpl of our premium themes for free,but attribution link must remain. Is hard coded and links back to my site.

Its a golden opportunity they arent capitalising on, but because its not a route they look like addressing i fear my future with vanilla is almost at an end, in terms of ongoing dev for themes.

The whole setup is really geared towards their hosted accounts.

Tim or Lincoln i cant recall who asked if "we" would produce themes for their paid services,when aked about attribution...silence.

Its took a while but i think the free version of vanilla is used solely to provide backlinks or the commercial version. Serving little need for commercial theming, such as mine.

If you google custom themes skins for vanilla we are number 1.

I also tried to engage devs in discussion relating to theming for 2.1 , with no real positive outcome. I love vanilla but fear the lack of promotion to devs on free plugins and themes is commercially driven to paid hosted solutions by vanilla.

This makes sense for them, but no sese for 3rd party guys like me. I think or would hope my commitment to vanilla is echoed in points on vanilla, posts i have made and continued help with the community..but aside from a handful of badges , nothing zilch nada.

Its a shame because the .org entity is treated with little relevance, as can be seen by current dev interactions over the preceeding months on here.

I realise they are busy, but not greasing the engine however good it is, causes friction and failure. Keeping the plates spinning is a fine art...but its a losing battle.

In fact the .org of late feels like a prequel to a blockbuster.

I have an open mind but the disnterest and lack of involvement ongoing by key users over the last 12 months bolsters i think my sentiments..that continued support for .org vanilla, is akin to steam power after gas fired engines have been released.

Anyhoo....life goes on.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Apologies for typos im on an ipad and have inaccurate fingers.

• 422 said:
    Apologies for typos im on an ipad and have inaccurate fingers.

No problem

I feel the same in a way, before vanilla I was used to SMF, the software was messy but the community was huge and helped a lot, I miss that in here :/

• 422422 Developer MVP

Yup, i cant put my finger on it :(

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

@422 what do you mean by "I also think, dev approvals should have a statutory link to the dev of that item."

Perhaps a link to a page of other resources (that would include links to users such as yourself would be the 1000 point rewards -people with most points would be at the top of the list and a minimum number of points would be needed to make the list). This would provide incentive possibly to people who want to get their name out there and simultaneously help this forum. Although the point system could be gamed by the like button. My thought is the point system should really be based on the accept button, and a tangible incentive.

Yes. I agree with most of your points 422. I don't know if underdog volunteers or is paid by vanilla, but certainly you two guys should have a bit of priority for questions for the tremendous help you have both shown to the community, and certainly other folks not to mention hbf, x00, etc.

I think the vanilla staff "could and maybe should devote a few hours at least each week" to answer some key questions, or at least respond to questions - that they know the community can't answer or is having trouble with, or possibly hire somebody with the skillset to answer the questions for a few hours each week or even a few hours each month. I don't mean how do I change css questions, but more like the minion question hbf had. And x00 probably knows the answer to everything, he seems like a key candidate for an adjunct paid position, if both parties were willing. Alas, none of the developers will even see this thread.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited June 2012

If an addon/theme is approved i think it should have linkback visible esp. on themes to the author.

I also concur, that the devs keep stating they are swamped...erm answer no brainer ! Hire x00

I very much doubt my involvement will continue at existing levels, I cannot sustain it, plus the entire setup here is more a bag of bolts than a fine tuned support system.

I am not sure of the ethic...

1. Provide bare bones free support in anticipation users will switch to paid. Relying heavily on bush mechanics like us...

Which really isnt that cool.

1. Leave this area as a self sustaining zoo, with underdog as the chief whip, he has the patience of a saint.

Personally, i hope 2.1 is great. But i fear in the interim it could be a little to late for serious forum owners. The bane of all forum ppl, is shifting data on upgrades. So the .org version imho will die a slow death.

Chiefly because .org is so disorganised and too complex to work well. A leaf out of vbulletin.org is a must. The system there works perfectly.

This menagerie of support and generalised questions is too messy.

A absolute pre req of any forum, is groups moderation and search .....hmmm

• 422422 Developer MVP

In context, vanillaskins.com gets 12-15,000 uniques a month. We direct that traffic ( mostly organic ) to vanillaforums.com