Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hide Categories From Dropdown When Adding a New Discussion

edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi- is there a way to hide/remove categories from the dropdown when adding a new discussion. I have two sections to my site- questions and comments. I renamed the "Add Discussion" link to say "Ask a Question" and I only want users to be able to choose from certain categories. Anyone know how I would go about that?

Answers

• Ok, so I actually was able to figure out a way to do this through custom permissions on the dashboard. I disallowed members from adding a discussion in certain categories. However, there is still a problem because users can still click the Add a Discussion button from any page. If they are on a page that they are not allowed to add a discussion to, they are disallowed from adding ANY new discussion- even if they click a different category from the dropdown. I am wondering if this is a bug. Would anyone know how to fix this at all? I really need this to work. Users should be able to click "Add" from any page, and just not be able to add underneath certain categories.