Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Google Adsense - Is it worth it??

edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey everyone,

I run a Ute club website ( www.ozutes.com.au ) and we were thinking about getting involved with Google Adsense and we don't know too much about it and was just wanting to ask all the Vanilla users out there if they use it and does it work?

We are a self funded club (we take no membership fee's or anything) so it all comes out of mine and the other co-owner's pocket - We aren't out there to make millions just enough to pay for the hosting of the website and if it can help pay for some club merch would be good too, anything after that would be a bonus.

So is it worth it???

Thanks in advance

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Check your keywords and cpc values.

I doubt adsense would pay for hosting. Esp if you have less than 50,000 members. Private sponsors would be better.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• A Vanilla installing with a moderate membership should run on a cheap shared commodity server... right?

I've run a number of medium-small but daily active forums, mostly in the consumer tech filed. Adsense click rates are certainly very low on forums compared to other types of sites, but it should easily pay your hosting and domain reg fees, if not much more. It's easily worth a shot, if you community can tolerate the banners.

But as 422 says, an arrangement with a private sponsor might pay off better, or marketing a product of your own or a strategic affilate offer.

• Yeah the Site is only new, its a reformation of another club and they have about 5000 members, at the moment we only have just over 100 but it is building and we are getting only about 10,000 page views a month at the moment but its a work in progress, and like I said its growing and the stats are getting more and more every month.

We have like 3700 people on our facebook page and is pretty active but trying to drag them from there to the club website is proving to be difficult (in large numbers anyway)

The hosting is about $300AUD a year which isn't much it would be good to have a small income that will take care of that.

• @Patty_OZUTES,
    Curious where do you host, and what kind of hosting plan?

• I'm not sure what plan we are on as I didn't organize it, the other Admin of the club did, but the guy we use are.

http://www.aecreative.com.au/ (Talk to Linda she is really good)