Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Cookies, and the new EU law

OnlyAnExcuseOnlyAnExcuse ✭✭
edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

The EU has implemented a law which means users must give consent, or implied consent for a website to use cookies on their machine - we need to inform users that cookies are used with a website.

1. How exactly are cookies used with Vanilla? Is it just to store logged-in status?
  2. Has anyone came up with a way to add it to their page?

I was going to add a cookies notification similar to that of the BBC and Channel 4 websites, where the user can still use the site but there's a notification for them to click "accept".

A general notice will do but thought this might be a topic of interest for anyone looking to add a similar notice to their website.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited June 2012 Answer ✓

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ahh, nice one 422, some good resources there.

I think it's nonsense too. However, we have to remain compliant to the EU masters who dictate how straight a cucumber must be.

My site has Vanilla cookies, Piwik cookies and I assume adsense too. Quite why we've gone so long using them safely and having to do this now is beyond me.

• First they have already said they are not goign to enforce it in the UK for the foreseeable future. By following through you are kind of legitimising this nonsense.

There is also a question mark over whether JavaScript solution would be legally watertight anyway.

grep is your friend.

• The stupid thing is they really misunderstand the real privacy issues on the web.

grep is your friend.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@x00 - I thought the stupid thing was that it is a UK government initiative, but that they have accepted that most UK government websites wouldn't be compliant by the deadline.

Which begs the question - why didn't they simply extend the deadline?

If they can't get their act together, what hope others?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Rather than make website owners comply, if its that big a deal. Why not initiate a browser based warning like active x warnings, but for cookies and place the onus on the viewer. Then rather than get a trillion website owners to self police they can just get geo targetted browser notifications thru firefox chrome ie safari etc.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

This is the type of thing that may get implemented at some point. We usually like for a customer to pay for this kind of development though.