Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Editing the "Embed-friendly" theme

edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey guys!

I am completely new to vanilla forums! I now utilize one such forum on my Wordpress site and the best theme for this purpose is the "Embed-Friendly" theme.

I like it a lot, but would love to change its color scheme from blue to black or orange (or a combination). I tried editing the "hex codes" in the .css file, but it did not work.

I guess it was a naïve attempt, but thought I'd give it a try. Can you guys tell me what I need to do if I am to change the colors?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• what files did you edit?
    you would need to edit within themes/EmbedFriendly/design

best to make changes in custom.css.

or within the theme you want to modify.

you may also need to delete the .ini files in /cache to see the effect.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• It was indeed custom.css I edited.

But when I simply changed the color codes, I got this message when trying to apply the theme:

"Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class EmbedFriendlyThemeHooks in /home/[...]/vanilla/themes/EmbedFriendlySunny/class.embedfriendlythemehooks.php on line 11"

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

like I said - try deleting your ini files.

you could also change line 11
    to class EmbedSunnyThemeHooks implements Gdn_IPlugin {

as well as changing the name in the about file.

and read 422's documentation on themes.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks a lot, buddy - it works now. I can see that some of my color changes have made it through, though not all. But I'll try to fiddle some more with it.

Where is this documentation?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited June 2012

If a css attribute doesnt seem to work add !important to the rule

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

Stanislav said:
    Thanks a lot, buddy - it works now. I can see that some of my color changes have made it through, though not all. But I'll try to fiddle some more with it.

Where is this documentation?

look at the top of the discussion page under announcements - there should be one about themes. Also - if you look for the word "documentation" at the top of the page you will see a link. The third place to look is in the announcement at the top of the page that says vanilla tutorial documentation site. Are these not viewable from your page???

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

Hey @422, what the deal for clicking the abuse button on me here.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/163677/#Comment_163677

Didi you click abuse because of this comment I added (lol)

and read 422's documentation on themes.>

no worries mate - I assume it was finger-lickin clickin mismatch.

I can only assume it was your cousin @423 or little brother @242 who did this.