Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Change user role en masse

edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have successfully ported over my entire user base but now nobody can fully sign in. If I give them a role -- they have none -- they can sign in. I've been trying to do this via the database for a little bit now and I'm not having much luck. Is there a way I can do this-- on the front end or the back end -- without having to do each user singly? I have thousands of users so that would just not work..

thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

look in the user role table and add userid and roleid in sqladmin.

Be careful:
    if the users have null roles or the wrong roles and all the users are in the userrole table you could just do something like this, that changes users roles who are not 2 to 8 with.
    to make it work remove the limit at the end. backup the userrole table first. Take note of the userid 1 and its role - (you need that to remain the same this is your root admin).

UPDATE `vanilla`.`GDN_UserRole` SET `RoleID` = '8' WHERE `GDN_UserRole`.`RoleID` <> '2'  Limit 1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Great! Thanks.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited July 2012

tyskkvinna said:
    I have successfully ported over my entire user base but now nobody can fully sign in.

You ported them over manually, correct? The reason I ask is, if you did do it with the Porter Plugin, then not inserting the User Roles is a bug :-S. With Manual conversion, it's logic that the user roles didn't come over and you can apply peregrine's solution if the userrole table is filled with (lots of) users :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

No.. I am porting from BBPress 2.0 and the best I can tell I have to do the whole shebang by hand. I am transitioning the users and the entire forum manually (!) but so far so good. This solution worked great. I gave everybody a "member" role and then went back in an edited the appropriate people to admin/system/mod roles. Took about 5 minutes once I was on the right track.

• Options

tyskkvinna said:
    No.. I am porting from BBPress 2.0 and the best I can tell I have to do the whole shebang by hand.

Figured that, since the porter plugin can only convert from BBPress 1.x

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I can see why there is no converter for BBPress 2.0 yet, as well... it's a pain :D