Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Suggestions for vanilla add-on app on this forum.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
  • place a check on the $PluginInfo['Name'] = array( and make sure the zip extraction directory matches the name, or make it so the plugin can't be enabled if the name is not the correct case (preferable), or make the disable function so it functions the same way as the enable when case is incorrect, so the plugin can be disabled from the dashboard.

• add an up or down count option to the add-on for each plugin for votes whether plugin works as advertised or whether people like it or use it.

• require the use of screen shots and a good description of how to use before it is even allowed to be posted.

• purge plugins that don't follow the above rules.

• user community make some useful comments to others whether you find the plugin helpful and it works or if you use on your site (might provide incentive to developers). Too often, there is no appreciation of a plugin that may be used and too little panning of plugins that don't work.

• attempt to categorize plugin via function (e.g. category manipulation, discussion page manipulation, connection related, image related, etc.

BTW - what are your favorite plugins - it is obvious for some because of the thousands of downloads for a specific plugin, what about the little-known ones that haven't been downloaded as much.

What other plugins would you like to see?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Tagged:

Comments

• anyone else agree?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Those are good ideas. I think though the one thing that I'd like to put in is a "tested with version xxx" matrix for the plugins.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012

Those are really good ideas. Question is, what is the timeline for these to happen?

add an up or down count option to the add-on for each plugin for votes whether plugin works as advertised or whether people like it or use it.

This one looks doable. Here is the AddOns repo

• Think you need glasses because you are seeing double.

two plugins called Social Login - is this confusing or what?

• SheilaSheila ✭✭

peregrine said:

• add an up or down count option to the add-on for each plugin for votes whether plugin works as advertised or whether people like it or use it.

• require the use of screen shots and a good description of how to use before it is even allowed to be posted.

• user community make some useful comments to others whether you find the plugin helpful and it works or if you use on your site (might provide incentive to developers). Too often, there is no appreciation of a plugin that may be used and too little panning of plugins that don't work.

• attempt to categorize plugin via function (e.g. category manipulation, discussion page manipulation, connection related, image related, etc.

The all are just excellent suggestions!

BTW - what are your favorite plugins - it is obvious for some because of the thousands of downloads for a specific plugin, what about the little-known ones that haven't been downloaded as much.

• All Viewed
    • Button Bar
    • Front Page Discussions Pagination
    • Quotes
    • Split / Merge (FE)
    • WhosOnline
    • Unread Icon
    • Emotify :)
    • I Like This ( Plugin )

What other plugins would you like to see?

Haha, I think I'm good with this... Well.

• That 'real' poll pluging
    • Image upload plugin that opens images in modal window/ lightbox and has ability to define within roles max allowed upload folder size per user and in which categories image uploading is allowed
    • Better working plugin that lets user to mark topic/ certain messages unread
    • Plugin that gives more options to sort discussions view 'Show only new topics since my last visit / Show most liked topics / Show topics I've participated
    • Member list plugin more similar like in Vanilla 1
    • Forum statistics plugin for members listing users online today, name of the latest member, some board all time statistics
    • Plugin that shows in a sidebar if a member is having his/her birthday
    • Badges that are available to non hosted forums
  • If we post a new plugin, the description text shouldn't go in a separate text box, but it should go as a forum topic. (discussion). Then we can comment on that specific plugin using normal forum functionalities.

The real problem will arise when users want to add additional discussions about the same plugin. Need to work on that :-S

Didn't we have a 'vote' plugin? We can integrate that into the Vanilla Addons App, or keep it a plugin.

That's what moderation is for

Put those plugins on 'inactive' (with the red bar at the top of the screen instead of the green bar) and make sure the Community MVP's can also change things in the .zip files to make the plugins apply to those rules, so the authors don't have to be bothered.

• user community make some useful comments to others whether you find the plugin helpful and it works or if you use on your site (might provide incentive to developers).

That's what a certain comment system is for. Or a rating system, adding points, will grant a plugin a 'green checkmark'

Yes, and tagging, we should be able to tag the plugins and themes!

There was an error rendering this rich post.