Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why jsConnect? We like the sound of proxyconnect

edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Given the following statements:

"We no longer recommend using this [proxyconnect] plugin. Instead, use our jsConnect plugin."

"[jsConnect is] An SSO plugin that uses json(p) to connect to vanilla, allowing for cross-domain sso."

I would like to know if the reason we're recommended to choose jsConnect is simply owing to the cross-domain sso advantage?

Considering our forum and system will be served off the same domain, does this point not fall away? We like the advantage of authentication happening on the server side (cURL) so that we don't see any javascript oddities or have extra buttons to click.

Please advise.

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

ProxyConnect is end-of-life. Instead of maintaining two different SSO plugins, we're just maintaining one. This will allow us to improve the quality and not waste our time.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• I think the primary reason is the technical ability of those that use it, and the range of capabilities of setup. Like Tim says, if you create, people expect you to support. That kind of SSO, is dependant on certain givens.

grep is your friend.

• Hopefully you can keep minimum functionality of ProxyConnect. It is the "right way" to address this problem. Relying on a client side JS button is a bad hack to login solution (jsConnect).

I implemented embedded JS connect, then removed it and installed ProxyConnect.
    ProxyConnect took 1/4 the time of jsConnect to install..
    ProxyConnect is 2x faster to login..
    ProxyConnect doesn't require any user action..

Please don't kill it.

This discussion has been closed.