Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Open Source or SMF?

yeehiyeehi New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Vanilla Open Source has a lot going for it. I wonder if you have looked at SMF, too.

Why do you use Vanilla Open Source instead or SMF?

I look forward to hearing your replies!

Tagged:

Comments

• They are hardly comparable SMF is yet another one of old school forums.

For one they don't have pluggable addon, their mod packages search and replace part of the core, somethign that could easily break, especially with mismatches with upgrades, it is also not very clear.

Plugins have their issues, but at least they leave the core clean. I also think the way Vanilla/Garden does it is very versatile, but prevents a lot of collisions that you could get in V1.

grep is your friend.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭

x00 said:
    They are hardly comparable SMF is yet another one of old school forums.

Agreed. SMF could be compared to IPB, PHPbb and VBulletin. If one likes to have buttons in admin as much than in an aeroplane and loves tables in templates, those are good choices. I used to run my own board on IPB.

Vanilla can imo somewhat be compared to BBPress (which is not standalone anymore). Flux then again is something in the between, I guess. That's the only one I listed that I haven't used.

But I don't think there even exists an absolute answer. Depends on one's preferences. I like to have a fast, light board and add features rather than remove them. And I strongly dislike tables.