Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Why won't announcements sink? And how can I insert a logo AND a text?

kramer65kramer65 New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi Guys,

I am falling more and more in love with Vanilla Forums. I am almost where I want to be, but there are two things that I still wonder about.

==1==
I made one topic into an Announcement, which sticks it to the top. I then selected "Sink" for that topic, which according to this comment, should move the topic down when new topics are created. So I created a few new topics, but the announcement stays on top of the list.

Do I misunderstand 'Sink', or am I doing something wrong here?

And also, is there a way to make another kind of Announcement, called "NEWS", which behaves the same as the announcement?

==2==
On the backend I can upload a logo, which is then displayed instead of the title which I inserted. I want however, that both the logo and the title is displayed. So I found this page, on which it says that I can simply insert '{logo}'. So I copied '/applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php' to '/themes/myowntheme/views/default.master.php'. In there I found the following line:

<h1><a class="Title" href="<?php echo Url('/'); ?>"><span><?php echo Gdn_Theme::Logo(); ?></span></a></h1>

So I inserted '{logo}' in there, but on the front page I simply see the text "{logo}" displayed. So I guess the code 'Gdn_Theme::Logo()' displays either the title or the logo.

Does anybody know how I can display both the logo and the title in the header?

(btw. sorry for so many questions on this forum in only two days, but I need to septup a new forum asap, and I would really like to use Vanilla instead of phpBB.. :) )

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    SheilaSheila ✭✭

kramer65 said:

I made one topic into an Announcement, which sticks it to the top. I then selected "Sink" for that topic, which according to this comment, should move the topic down when new topics are created. So I created a few new topics, but the announcement stays on top of the list.

Announcement makes the topic to stay/stick on top. Sink makes a topic to sink by time. Atm you are trying to do both to the same topic at the same time.. :)

And you might wanna check the documentation also, thou it is not very wide, I've found several answers from there.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

You cannot use .tpl codetags in php code

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@kramer65

Why not make your text and logo a single graphic, which you could then upload as normal?

• Options

kramer65 said:
    So I found this page, on which it says that I can simply insert '{logo}'. So I copied '/applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php' to '/themes/myowntheme/views/default.master.php'. In there I found the following line:

<h1><a class="Title" href="<?php echo Url('/'); ?>"><span><?php echo Gdn_Theme::Logo(); ?></span></a></h1>

I'll help a little more tomorrow, but the simple answer for the moment is the following:

You have 2 types of themes. Themes with a default.master file that end in .php and that end in .tpl. The themes that end in .php (sorry for the short 'formulering') will have actual php code in them:

The themes that end in .tpl will have actual 'template-tags' in them.

Just make a decision which type of theme you want to make (.tpl files and therefore 'template-tags' will have the preference) and then adjust your theme to your liking.

There was an error rendering this rich post.