Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Random users and "root" category.

preachurpreachur New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

**This question pertains to MagpieFeeds and for some reason it posted wrong. ** I have changed the values in the script. I changed the configuration from "rand" to "root." However, the feeds still come in with random users as the poster, and all of them go into the "root" category. Anyone have a fix for this? Is this addon even supported any more?

It appears it was designed to have a drop-down option to choose random or root for the user who posts, but that does not appear at all in the administration.

Comments

• Options

This answer pertains to your question "Is this add-on even supported any more?"

One clue is to look at the author who created the plugin and match it to the last visit, then factor in how many version changes in Vanilla occurred since the plugin was created and that should give you your support coefficient.

$Z = 15 months x 15 months / 0 visits by author in 15 months * number of versions of vanilla since March 2011

$Z to the power of divided by 100 = will give you the support coefficient.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

That is sad, because if this addon was complete and functioning correctly, it would help save many lives. (seriously) I have no spare time to try to fix it, because I am busy saving animals in real life. :-(

It looks like he had plans to make it work. Parts of the code were started, but he commented them out. He uploaded it and never came back.

• Options
    mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012

Look at line 246 in the plugin: $DiscussionData[$DiscussionModel->CategoryID] = 12;

He saves all of the RSS feeds into this category for some reason.

it would help save many lives. (seriously) I have no spare time to try to fix it, because I am busy saving animals in real life. :-(

Sorry, but I laughed really hard when I read this. I mean, if it was that important than surely you can spend a few dollars to save a few lives? I'll take your word that this plugin saves lives, but I hope it is not a plea to have someone help you.

Parts of the code were started, but he commented them out

I don't see evidence of this. He puts in a few comments...nothing out of the norm.

• Options
    preachurpreachur New
    edited July 2012

It's not a "plea to have someone help me."
    As for spending a few dollars, I actually spent quite a few on the development of an add-on for Vanilla back when I was still doing for profit work. A client needed a forum for an aggregate research website and needed to be able to subscribe using email. Shelled out quite a lot for that functionality. I believe I also had to purchase a couple of licenses for the software. Thought some of the greed had disappeared when it went open-source. I guess not.

Change line 246 of the plugin and it will still post into the "root" category every time.
    If you look in views/magpiefeeds.php You will see what I meant about the comments. The option to turn the random on and off is commented out, and it doesn't work even if it is included.

I work sun-up to sun down. I haven't touched money in over 2 years. I cross-post animals in the evenings, work on setting up sites and create positive action graphics and network animals until I fall asleep. Every so often, like today, I get some time during the day. It has been afternoon storming daily here for a week. However, after talking to the director of our organization, I have been authorized to purchase a functioning module for another site we set up using oxwall software for $10. Supposedly it does what this module is supposed to. I like the simplicity of vanilla because it is more user-friendly and easier to customize than oxwall, but oh well. I'll work with what works.

We have 2 campaigns that need this functionality: 1) Code red shelter pets. 2) The Justice for Lennox, anti-BSL movement.

The second has over 200,000 members, and is spread out across several pages. All of them have feeds, and a few hundred people have mentioned that they would like a centralized website they can subscribe to, so they can keep track of all updates on one site. Keeping up the momentum will help us stop things like THIS: [Photo deleted by UnderDog] Since this page has no donation links I would have been happy to include one with a "donate to the developers of the software that made this possible" link.

The first will allow cross-posted shelter pets who are about to DIE to be viewed by rescuers and potential adopters on one site. We will also use the consolidated feed to create a flash widget that people can grab the code for and easily include on their sites. Not to mention the ability to consolidate the notification emails into one site/page. Since facebook switched to timeline and started charging for promotion of page posts, the lifesaving capabilities of the cross-posting networks have been cut in half. Some shelters that were no longer killing have started mass euthanizing again. This module, if functioning, had the potential to turn that around.

I didn't want to have to re-build the networking sites that are already running Vanilla. However, after receiving a reply from a cynical pr*%k it just became worth the trouble. We will not be using Vanilla any more.

• Options
    edited July 2012

@underdog to moderate this. I was not being cynical, however after re-reading my initial reply I can see how it could have interpreted as a snide remark.

I would think that if your site was dealing with time precious things and lives, you should have invested in a more secure avenue.

I don't want to steer you away from Vanilla, but I think we can all agree that your situation needs a system with a more prompt response. You need professional help for your website for this matter. Telling people that it needs to get done to save lives is a little unfair and a bit questionable to ask of an open source project. Depending on a defunct plugin to achieve this is not a sane approach.

By suggesting you spend money was not implying that you pay me. I don't do paid work. You should invest in a paid system that can achieve your expectations in a timely manner so you don't lose any more lives. I still can't understand how your predicament landed you here searching for a solution, but alas.

I think that picture should be removed - It is inappropriate.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

@preachur

you've got to leave the politics out, if you want help. drop the "dog crap" and concentrate on the plugin. I suggest you edit your reply above and remove any dog related stuff and I will try to help also, otherwise you are on your own as far as I am concerned. Everybody has a cause and an ideology, just don't post it on this forum if you want help and not be marked as a spammer.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I'm not interested in wasting any more time on this. I found a solution with another software. Feel free to moderate my comment or delete it, and delete me from this site as well if you like.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

I believe we have wasted time because of you, not the other way around.

I actually you just picked a broken plugin to promote your cause, nothing more. But its sad to do it this way.

• Options
    edited July 2012

preachur said:
    I'm not interested in wasting any more time on this. I found a solution with another software. Feel free to moderate my comment or delete it, and delete me from this site as well if you like.

Look, you may be upset right now, but I think we (or I) may have inadvertently pushed you in the right direction. The free version of Vanilla is really not the platform you are seeking. After reading your requirements, you need a rock solid solution that can give you immediate results with paid support staff that requires little setup time since time is not on your side. Maybe look at the paid hosting plans?

Your organization should rethink its strategy. Or maybe I am going insane recommending professional paid software for a institutional responsible for saving lives? I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, so I'm not ruling it out.

peregrine
    I actually you just picked a broken plugin to promote your cause, nothing more. But its sad to do it this way.

I didn't think about this, but it is common to see these horrible images randomly about the internet and TV from people trying to promote their cause. I'm starting to think that if his problem was not resolved soon, then the images would have been posted regardless of any response in this thread.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a poor choice.

Either way, best of luck to him.

• Options

@underdog ??? do you believe this is necessary. As long as you are moderating. I find it repulsive. just knowing it is there.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/165186/#Comment_165186

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited July 2012

Hmmz, I'll take an extra look, just give me couple of minutes, I think I'll flag it. I'll let you know :-)

edit: Flagged that post.
    While I understand his point as 'it will save lifes' (it will save the lifes of the animals he's talking about) it just got really really out of hand.
    Anyways, that ends this topic as it will naturally sink to the bottom of the pile as no-one else has anything important to say on this matter?.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Honestly, your comments in this thread really tick me off @mcu_hq. First off, you act like a douche to a new member and then you go on to slag off this forum software that you supposedly like enough to use yourself.

You know what? Vanilla is a professional software solution. And so host addons developed by people and they often aren't hight quality. You know what your other so-called professional solutions do? The don't offer anything. They let you use their software their way.

And do you really think closed-source solutions are coded well? I can guarantee you they are not. We migrate people off those systems and one of the foremost complaints about them is they are always getting hacked. The grass is always greener until you explore it.

I'm going to tell you something. The core Vanilla development team is made up of great programmers. We work on Vanilla every day and Vanilla is an amazing product.

• Options
    edited July 2012

@todd

I am dearly sorry, I did not mean to slander Vanilla in any way. I did remark above how my first comment was rude and misleading.

mcu_hq said:
    The free version of Vanilla is really not the platform you are seeking.

After reading your requirements, you need a rock solid solution that can give you immediate results with paid support staff that requires little setup time since time is not on your side. Maybe look at the paid hosting plans?

I was trying to encourage him to the paid hosting with paid support that you guys offer and not the hobbyist one. I should have worded my response in a way to point out that he was using an unsupported plugin and should have been using a more secure, approved plugin if it was to save lives.

Todd said:
    You know what your other so-called professional solutions do? The don't offer anything

I would think that an approved (professional) add-on for vanilla would achieve good results. He was using a hobbyist version.

Todd said:
    And do you really think closed-source solutions are coded well? I can guarantee you they are not.

I have never used one to be honest, so I can't comment. I don't see how this related to anything though. I wanted to use Vanilla as a learning tool. I hope I did not come off as recommending a closed source solution to him.

Todd said:
    They let you use their [closed source] software their way.

Agreed. One of the cons of closed source.

Todd said:
    We migrate people off those systems and one of the foremost complaints about them is they are always getting hacked.

Yea, I think the more eyes you have looking at the code the better the result will be.

Todd said:
    I'm going to tell you something. The core Vanilla development team is made up of great programmers. We work on Vanilla every day and Vanilla is an amazing product.

Yes, I do not doubt that in the least bit. I have been working on a plugin for months now for Vanilla and I have been learning a ton. It amazes me of how much work you all put in it. There is no way that I can replicate your teams work and commitment. I am very much looking forward to 2.1.

I truly felt (and still do) that he was being self righteous in requesting help by the original author and implying blame if it was not fixed.

I would sincerely appreciate a response from you so we can move on to better things and get on the same team again.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

To stick my nose in here. I think @mcu_hq was not saying anything derogatory about vanilla or the professional aspect of vanilla. I think mcu_hq was pointing out that if preach wants to add an out-dated plugin and have it modified to his needs (meaning preach), that preach ought to pay somebody that has a professionally written solution to his problem, and not expect a volunteer community to be at his beck and whim for an ideological cause with immediate results. As for me, I found the whole request irritating and full of unrealistic expectations, not the responses of mcu_hq or myself. I'm glad mcu_hq said it first, because I was on the verge to say everything he said.

edit: As I was typing this, I see you responded mcu_hq.

• Options
    edited July 2012

@peregrine response is 100% what I was going for. I should have articulated it in that matter.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

mcu_hq on the bright side you got the 100 comments badge on this one lol.

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Thank you for your comments @mcu_hq and @peregrine. I agree completely with your sentiments now that I've read the latest comments.

I certainly appreciate all help you guys are giving here. I really want you to be ambassadors to Vanilla too. I've kept my comments to myself from time-to-time while certain people in the community slag on Vanilla and I'm just really sick of it. And to be clear, I'm not talking about anyone in this thread right now. However, I'd really like some of the community to think about why they love Vanilla and defend it in this community and elsewhere. Not in a arguing way, but in a positive way. Ask @lincoln why he hates vBulletin and loves Vanilla.

Vanilla is not like the other forums out there. We can do most of the same stuff (in some cases more). But where we need to make improvements we do. That is actually a huge difference between us and the others out there.

We do have difficulty bridging things between the open source side and the hosted side. This thread is a great case in point. Here we have a community contributed plugin really hurting the reputation of Vanilla in general. I've seen other projects get brutal with their addons and just purge the lot of them. I was hoping we wouldn't have to go this route, but maybe we will.

Anyway, I have many more thoughts on this subject. Hopefully I can get it out in the community over time, but no more in this thread.

• Options

I think more version control for the addon section would help. Have a approach similar to wordpress, where developers are encouraged to keep up to date.

I think it should be clearer when a addon hasn't been confirmed to work for that version. Conventions, etc.

I’ve used Magpie Feeds before, if I remember correctly is wasn't terrible, so I’m reluctant to say it is just down to the developer.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    SheilaSheila ✭✭
    edited July 2012

OT: Who's online list says just now 75. I'd assume the buzz is increasing (again) and that is a very very great thing for Vanilla and the community which I heart both.