HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Thought I would share a theme as it gets developed

422422 Developer MVP
edited August 2012 in Feedback

Ok for starters you will need to bear with me. As many things will change as this theme gets developed, I wont be providing a running commentary as I have neither the time or inclination, but feel free to follow the theme as it gets developed. I usually work quickly, so please check back regularly. As things will change no doubt by the hour .. he says cringing.

Ok for functionality sake: this is what we have.

Vanilla Version v=2.1a24.1

No plugins whatsoever installed at this time. The way I work, generically, is to fancify the index page up, no plugins.. zilch. Just customise to how I want it to function and get a brief feel for the look etc

As I create the functionality, I generally then start customising the look, still with no plugins. However I do generally change core files, in my own theme structure.. this is in fact not something Vanilla recommend in the new version of Vanilla, so apologies for the purists.

Ok initially, I have with some help from @peregrine setup the forum, and jquery drag and drop and sort for the discussions. Utilising cookies.

The concept here is to allow each user to move stuff around into specific order they prefer, this isnt for everyone. Its just a concept I am playing with. Seemingly, need to update cookie when new discussion is created as it does not display new discussion until cookie has expired or indeed destroyed. So will work on a fix for that.

If you wish to follow progress , just feel free. http://vanillaskins.com/twentyone/

Not sure where this is heading, free theme or commercial, we will see.

Anyhoo.. thats all for now folks. Click AWESOME to show you are following it lol

New theme is called TwentyOne because it utilises 2.1 v of Vanilla

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• I clicked awesome. click insightful for me. I prefer that one.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Fascinating. I love the idea.

I don't think it'll scale very well in its current form—it would be a nightmare to sort through hundreds of discussions this way—but the seeds of something awesome are clearly visible.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Cheers, its just a playground at the moment of ideas, and things not currently used in Vanilla Forums. Pagination we will hopefully control a la ( show more ) similar to Pinterest

Also perhaps will be loading additional content via AJAX / JSON instead of routes , like a site I have just completed for client.

http://inspectorpool.com.au/

• 422422 Developer MVP

The issue seemingly is to now control the sort so it only works on the index page. Will need to investigate this further as Vanilla now seems to utilise same body id across all pages, so feel free to pitch in if you have suggestion for limiting "sortable" only to the discussions list ( index page )
    Perhaps best to addclass .. rather than remove class, as it would save a whole heap of extra code

• 422422 Developer MVP

So got me thinking. How do we control pagination.

Im mobile at mo, so is it a case , usually display x discussions per page. So need to shut that off.

• 422 said:
    The issue seemingly is to now control the sort so it only works on the index page. Will need to investigate this further as Vanilla now seems to utilise same body id across all pages, so feel free to pitch in if you have suggestion for limiting "sortable" only to the discussions list ( index page )

There is a very very recent topic that one of the Vanilla guys showed how to easily add a class to (i think) the Body element. I think he did it with jQuery. Should be easily utilized once I've figured out which thread it was :-)

• 422422 Developer MVP

I had seen that too, but buggered if i could find it.