Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Kunena to Vanillia Migration

grifoigrifoi New
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am using Joomla with Kunena forum and i want to tranfer my forum to vanilia.
Is there a tool for that?

Best Answer

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

Hi grifoi

We have a conversion tool called 'Porter' and lately there has been a similar tool called 'Porter Plus', but both tools cannot convert from Kunena to Vanilla.

There are a couple of possibilities:
    Convert to a more known forum like 'phpBB3' and then you can use Porter or Porter Plus to convert to Vanilla.

The other possibility is to transfer the information by not using a tool but phpMyAdmin
    The disadvantage is that when you transfer the users, there might be a difference in how Joomla handles the user Passwords and how Vanilla handles the user Passwords.

If you still decide to not use a tool, what you need to do is to get the database structure of Kunena (and the extra tables that it might use, like Categories or Users) and you need to get the database structure of Vanilla that you are converting to. both structures can be gotten by using phpMyAdmin

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

Hi grifoi

We have a conversion tool called 'Porter' and lately there has been a similar tool called 'Porter Plus', but both tools cannot convert from Kunena to Vanilla.

There are a couple of possibilities:
    Convert to a more known forum like 'phpBB3' and then you can use Porter or Porter Plus to convert to Vanilla.

The other possibility is to transfer the information by not using a tool but phpMyAdmin
    The disadvantage is that when you transfer the users, there might be a difference in how Joomla handles the user Passwords and how Vanilla handles the user Passwords.

If you still decide to not use a tool, what you need to do is to get the database structure of Kunena (and the extra tables that it might use, like Categories or Users) and you need to get the database structure of Vanilla that you are converting to. both structures can be gotten by using phpMyAdmin

• Options

Yes i found that but i still didnt succed to migrate to any other forum as all the tools i found are for old versions of Kunena.
    I will still looking.
    Thank you for your answer.

• Options

OK and prepare for getting the structure of Kunena and Vanilla (option 2, remember?)

• Options

yes i have that too in mind. i will try with the tools first as i believe are safer and if i cant do it i will try thru phpmyadmin

• Options

Just take your time. Backup, backup, backup and you'll be fine :-) Try to find the Porter Plus plugin, just to make sure :-)

• Options

Hello I have been using Kunena for the past few years on my joomla 2.5 site and feel that it is a bit dated and clumsy. So I did a Google search for options which brought me here. I have 13k entries and about 3 new members each day and traffic is about 20k per month (uniques) would you recommend migrating Kunena data to Vanilla? If yes would it work integrating it into joomla not embedded but in a sub directory? The forum is what attracts most traffic. Thanks for your help with this.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

would you recommend migrating Kunena data to Vanilla?

Yes I would recommend Vanilla versus others for it's flexibility and ease of use.

would it work integrating it into joomla not embedded but in a sub directory?

You can embed , and yes you can use a subdirectory for the forum