Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"You have selected 1 discussion" – no I haven't!

nicepaulnicepaul
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I always get the "You have selected 1 discussion" panel in the bottom left corner of the forum, even when I haven't selected anything. Even when I'm viewing the site in the smartphone view, where it's impossible to select discussions!

If I select any discussions, it always thinks I have one more selected than I really do. i.e. if I select two discussions it says I have selected 3.

Screenshot (I clicked 'Merge' to get the popup showing that there's nothing really selected):

Any ideas?

thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

I am assuming you are talking about vanilla 2.0.18.4 - ither wise you would specify the version of vanilla you are having the problem with. If you are not talking about this version - you need to spedift the version you are talking about - it makes life easier and doesn't keep everybody guessing

you most likely have a checkbox checked

look in your user table in phpmyadmin

go to the column titled <b> attributes </b> for the "user" that has the problem

and you will see a serialized string  (e.g something like this)``

;s:15:"CheckedComments";a:3:{i:606;a:1:{i:0;s:2:"32";}i:630;a:2:{i:0;s:2:"on";i:1;s:2:"34";}i:567;a:1:{i:0;s:2:"36";}}s:18:"CheckedDiscussions";a:0:{}}

in the case above comment 36 is checked as is 32
    relating to discussion 606 and 630.

you can either go to those discussions or comments and uncheck them or delete them in the database.

probably easier to uncheck them after you locate the discussion and comment numbers.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    nicepaulnicepaul
    edited August 2012

Thanks peregrine! Mine says:

;s:15:"CheckedComments";a:1:{i:824;a:1:{i:0;s:5:"10954";}}s:18:"CheckedDiscussions";a:1:{i:0;s:3:"833";}

There are no discussions with IDs 824 or 833, no entries in the database. (they must've been deleted?)

Am I looking for the right ones?

• Options

nicepaul said:
    Thanks peregrine! Mine says:

;s:15:"CheckedComments";a:1:{i:824;a:1:{i:0;s:5:"10954";}}s:18:"CheckedDiscussions";a:1:{i:0;s:3:"833";}

There are no discussions with IDs 824 or 833, no entries in the database. (they must've been deleted?)

Am I looking for the right ones?

If it were me I would delete that info

in the field via phpmyadmin and see it solves the problem of "You have selected one discussion and I would guess the issue is solved.

If I were a betting man, I bet it will solve it. :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Just delete everything in the field? I'll give it a go. If the world ends, it's on your head ;-)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

nicepaul said:
    Just delete everything in the field?

no! Try just deleting the portion you posted and I posted. The other parameters may be necessary.

I'll give it a go. If the world ends, it's on your head ;-)

I know it was a joke - but the ownership of problems is in your hands.

Doing what I suggested worked for me on a test case.

just a simple suggestion to keep the world on your head, it is a good idea to make sure you have backups, before you do things. In this case I would think just keeping a record of what was exactly was in that field and save it somewhere (in case you have to paste it back in).

Try just deleting the portion you posted and I posted. The other parameters may be necessary.

just copy the entire field to somewhere else and you can always paste it back in.

report back on your results.

• Options

Yup, keeping a record of what was in there is what I'd do... and yes of course I was joking!

So I should start deleting with ;s:15...? I have no idea what that bit means, and I included it above only because you did too. My gut feeling would be to begin deleting at "Checked...

• Options

If you backup that string, just clear the whole bit for now :-) I know what you guys said, but when I read the string it's only CheckedComments and CheckedDiscussions, they show which ones are checked and since you don't want any checked comments it's ok to clear that string.

The string is the entire piece of code that's in that 'attributes' field in the user table : ;s:15:"CheckedComments";a:1:{i:824;a:1:{i:0;s:5:"10954";}}s:18:"CheckedDiscussions";a:1:{i:0;s:3:"833";}

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Thanks Underdog. Seems to have worked a treat, but I have the string saved in a text file just in case.

• Options

Sometimes there are other things stored in the attributes field.

e.g. Transientkey,
    Notifications.InformLastActivityID

etc. -

I just didn't want you to delete other things that didn't pertain to the problem.

seems like alot of it is transitory so it wouldn't make much of a difference either way.

• Options

There was also these, but I didn't think they'd be a problem if they were deleted (no problems yet)

TransientKey, CountCommentSpamCheck, DateCommentSpamCheck, CountDiscussionSpamCheck, DateDiscussionSpamCheck

• Options

glad it solved your problem.

• Options

Thanks again to both of you for your help!