Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can sign-in popup autocomplete be core functionality?

nicepaulnicepaul
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Browsers will autocomplete forms when a page loads, if you ask them to remember your details.

But the Sign In popup doesn't autofill, presumably because it loads only when it's needed.

I think it should load when the page loads, but positioned off the screen. That way, when it's needed it moves onto the screen and is already autocompleted.

This seems like it should be core functionality, as the current implementation breaks expected browser behaviour.

thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Does the form inputs have autocomplete="off" ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    nicepaulnicepaul
    edited August 2012

Thanks 422, I'll check

Where would I find that? Can't find it in conf/config.php

Would it be within the HTML for the form code? Which file is that in? It doesn't seem to be in the outputted HTML as seen in view-source.

thanks,
    Paul

• Options

use firebug and inspect the element.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

There is no autocomplete attribute on the input tags, no.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Try config.php it may be set by default.

• Options
    nicepaulnicepaul
    edited August 2012

I can find no mention of the word autocomplete in config.php

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

I will have a looksy in a few minutes

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Looking at it, I think its because the username / email field isnt named so.
    Most login systems, have the email field id set to email , name="email" and password to name="password" etc

So I dont think there is a fix for this.

• Options

Ok, "autocomplete" is the wrong word for it. But when you tell your browser to remember the username and password for this site it should do that regardless of the field names.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Using firefox check saved passwords. See if it is indeed storing them.

• Options

It is storing them, but it's not putting them in that box. It does put them in the box on this page: http://www.video125.co.uk/forum/entry

So the only thing I can think is that it's not putting them in the box because the box is not part of the page when the page is loaded.

By making the box part of the page when it is loaded (but hiding it off the screen), it would pre-populate them.

thanks,
    Paul

• Options

• Options
    nicepaulnicepaul
    edited August 2012

There's now two questions outstanding here. Question 1 was in a different topic but Underdog has closed that one thinking it was a duplicate of the original question in this thread (which I've rephrased below as question 2, because I inaccurately referred to it as autocomplete in the original question which caused confusion).

1.) Any thoughts on why Firefox would not keep someone signed in in Vanilla 2.0.18 when they click 'Keep me signed in'? (see this thread of user frustration)

2.)

If you asked Firefox to "Remember Password", it will only then use that password for you on the sign in page (which nobody sees), not on the sign in popup which everyone sees.

This is because the sign in popup is loaded with Ajax only when 'sign in' is clicked, and is not present when the page initially loads. If it were loaded when each page loads, then hidden off the screen with CSS, then browsers would pre-populate the form with your username/password if you've asked your browser to remember those details.

Unfortunately the way the popup box is implemented in Vanilla 2.0.18 breaks the browser's default behaviour of pre-filling usernames/passwords.

• Options

So, was my latest post on this any clearer? Do you see the issue? Specifically point 2.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

The only way this works is to initiate the popup BEFORE the dom has loaded, which isnt gonna happen AFAIK.

When a normal login form is on a site, the data from your browser is fetched within the dom.
    But via a popup, Im not aware of any site that initiates autofill for form fields.

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭

Isn't there a way to disable the popups? I think I saw that a while back, but unable to find it again.

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    edited August 2012

luc said:
    Isn't there a way to disable the popups? I think I saw that a while back, but unable to find it again.

The default is:

$Configuration['Garden']['SignIn']['Popup']                     = TRUE; // Should the sign-in link pop up or go to it's own page? (SSO requires going to it's own external page

)

• Options

422 said:
    The only way this works is to initiate the popup BEFORE the dom has loaded, which isnt gonna happen AFAIK.

When a normal login form is on a site, the data from your browser is fetched within the dom.
    But via a popup, Im not aware of any site that initiates autofill for form fields.

Exactly. So technically it shouldn't "pop-up" when the sign-in link is clicked, it should be positioned off the screen from the start and then should just reposition itself to the middle of the screen when sign-in clicked.

That way it would look and behave exactly as it does now, but with usernames and passwords pre-filled if a user has asked their browser to remember their password.

What are the down-sides to doing this? I can only see benefits.

I'm not demanding that it's done now or anything, I'm just suggesting it's added to a to-do list unless somebody can explain why it shouldn't be done. And especially because the current implementation breaks browser functionality, I'd say it's a no-brainer to fix!

I'm sorry if I do not know the correct protocol for suggesting fixes like this. Should I be posting this elsewhere?

thanks,
    Paul

• Options

As Luc said

setting the config

$Configuration['Garden']['SignIn']['Popup']                     = FALSE;

will prevent popup

This is definitely the case in Vanilla 2.1

as a test you might try a test installation of 2.1 and see if that resolves your problem, and then you will know it it will be taken care of in future versions going forward.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.