Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How does private messaging work?

bbeckfordbbeckford New
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi there, we manage a very busy Vanilla forum running version 2.0.18.2

We've had several questions from users asking how they private message eachother.

Not having much experience in the day to day of a Vanilla forum I'm finding it very hard to find anything about PM'ing and I've looked all over for 'whisper' on our forum and I can't see it anywhere.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Unfortunately the solution is too easy to even explain.
    Therefore I would suggest to look at the profile page of a single user.

I don't know how it was in 2.0.18.2 and I don't know the name of your theme.
    On vf.org you have the option to send a message to a user (button 'Message').
    I'm sure there's something similar in 2.0.18.2

You can double check the permissions though, because maybe your users don't have permissions to send private messages.

Whispering was re-introduced beyond 2.0.18.2, I believe.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ah, we weren't sure that those messages were private.

Is there documentation on how to update the forum to the latest version?

Thanks!!

• @bbeckford said:

Is there documentation on how to update the forum to the latest version?

Thanks!!

did you by chance click the Documentation link on this page and look at the upgrade link. or search this forum.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    did you by chance click the Documentation link on this page and look at the upgrade link. or search this forum.

No, he wasn't sure whether it was documentation for this forum, lol (sorry, joke)

There was an error rendering this rich post.